New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook 13" screen hinge loose

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ronnie-1995

ronnie-1995 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac g4 700mhz 768mb 40gb7200rpm, Macbook late 2009 (unibody) 2,26ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb hd5400

Hi there,
I am writing to ask if there is anyone that knows how i can tighten my screen hinges on my macbook black 13 as it is really bugging me as it is always wobbling, nowhere near as stiff as it was when new.

Also, my screen lid and base are misaligned, does anyone know how to rectify this?

Any help would be appreciated

(Below is a picture of the misaligned lid and base)

Thanks In Advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9100074.jpg (590.1 KB, 36 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the instructions for replacing the hinges on your black MacBook. I don't believe you can just tighten them. I may be wrong about that but most folks wind up replacing the hinges.
QUOTE Thanks
ronnie-1995

Mac Specs: Imac g4 700mhz 768mb 40gb7200rpm, Macbook late 2009 (unibody) 2,26ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb hd5400

Do you know where i can buy brand new and not used hinges?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Hinges are going to be hard to find. Other than eBay and ifixit, you might try the folks at Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
ronnie-1995

Would these be the ones for my macbook- would this make the screen stop wobbling, and would it be tight like it was when i first unwrapped this laptop?

Also would this rectify the misalignment?

Is there anything else apart from the hinges that i would need to replace to make the screen hold tighter?

NEW APPLE MACBOOK 13.3 A1181 L + R Laptop LCD hinges | eBay UK
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Those should be all you need. Note that changing out the hinges is not an easy task and you could easily damage other things if you're not careful. Follow the step by step instructions given at iFixit: The free repair manual.
QUOTE Thanks
MunkeyQ

MunkeyQ will become famous soon enough

The hinges are very thin and fragile in a Macbook. Avoid pushing the screen back against its mechanical limit.

It's common for the forces on hinge pin to strip the threads out of the screw holes holding the hinge together, so you may have to replace more than just the hinges.

And yep, as usual, iFixit has some good guides.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using 13inch macbook w/o battery | MacBook screen turns white »