New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ssd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dimosthenius

dimosthenius is on a distinguished road

hi
i am thinking of purchase a ssd so i need some information about that. I have a 2008 mbp (processor 2.4 GHz memory 4 Gb 667 MHz ) . I 've seen that the link speed is 1.5Gb. I don't know what ssd to choose and what should be the features of it !
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
at0m87

at0m87 is on a distinguished road

Hi people, i have the same question too. i have a mid 2009 macbook pro unibody with 320GB hdd and after using the macbook air, i really appreciate what a SSD could do to my system. so i am interested to get an SSD but dunno where to start, which too look for, are there compatibility issues or specific range of SSD that can be used.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

You will both need a 2.5" Sata SSD drive, the main thing that should really concern you is what capacity you want/ can afford as SSDs are still quite expensive.
For example: Crucial CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5-inch Solid State Drive (128GB,Real SSD,C300,SATA 6GB/S): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
at0m87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
You will both need a 2.5" Sata SSD drive, the main thing that should really concern you is what capacity you want/ can afford as SSDs are still quite expensive.
For example: Crucial CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5-inch Solid State Drive (128GB,Real SSD,C300,SATA 6GB/S): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Hope this helps

- Simon
Thank you buzzard

i noticed that there are SATA II and SATA III SSD with different transfer rates, should i be concerned about it?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Head for Sata II instead of Sata III as they are cheaper and your macbook can't support the 6GB/S.

HTH,

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
dimosthenius

dimosthenius is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hope this helps

- Simon
apart from the link speed that ssd has which is bigger than that my mbp supports, is there any possibility to have ssd sata II or III and when i buy a new mac to connect it as external disc? (or sata II or III aren't compatible with that i have now) In what features of ssd should i pay attention?
thanks for the response
QUOTE Thanks
at0m87

Quote:
Head for Sata II instead of Sata III as they are cheaper and your macbook can't support the 6GB/S.

HTH,

- Simon
Thanks Simon! I will look out for the Sata II. There are many different brands out there and each brands offer many variant like performances and what not. What are those difference?
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

Price is the primary difference in all categories - size, capacity, and bus speed. 2x in any category = 2x the price. For example, even though my MBP 2011 could benefit from the Sata III interface, I would rather have twice the size, or half the price. Any SSD is so much freakingly faster than any hard drive, I'd say that 99.99% of most people would have the same inclination. The exception - the guy who edits HD video for a living who will buy as many as possible and put them together in a RAID 0 array for all out speed.

Here is a nicely presented summary of these choices, and the company I am planning to buy from (OWC SSD)...
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD Serial ATA 2.5" Solid State Drives using High Performance SandForce Processor solution

2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about an old MAcBook Pro | Superdrive problem »