New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Heat, Crash and Burn

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

metalheart

metalheart is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, Intel, 2.8 GHz, 4GB

This is a very *interesting* problem that I've been having for the past 2 months.

My 15 inch MBP, heats up to enormously high temperatures! Particularly, when running on battery, it CRASHES (shuts down immediately with a 'clicking' noise without even freezing or hanging) after overheating to about 85+ degrees celsius. (I don't know why it should be reaching 85 in the first place). And when I talk about temperatures, I'm talking about the 'CPU' temperature - as classified by iStat Pro.

I've checked the fan settings. Have tried using "smc fan control". Have monitored the temperatures with Temperature Monitor. (I'll post the graph on my next crash).

Apple Care seems to have offered the solution - "Reinstall the OS". (WHY?) But I've tried doing that anyway, in the past. Doesn't work.

Any probable causes? My usage is quite limited (especially when on battery) and is limited to Music-oriented software like iTunes, Garageband and occasionally, Logic Pro. in addition to of course, using a web browser (mostly Safari and Firefox)

One thing I've noticed, many a time the crash occurs when running multiple Flash-based pages.

I need help. Better help than Apple Care. If I know exactly what hardware is involved, I might be able to convince the Apple Service Center to replace it.

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Have you checked the inside of your computer to make sure it isn't dirty/full of fuzz...which would block cooling air from circulating?

Is your fan working properly (can you hear it running)?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

you could try resetting the smc.

also, are you working in an area where the vents could become obstructed (on a duvet or something? do you live in a hot area?

however, clicking sounds a lot like a hardware fault of the fan.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Certainly sounds like the fans are not working or are blocked. 85 is not unheard of though, and if the fans are on this is within barriers.
If you are still under Apple Care warranty, then get it back asap.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
metalheart

metalheart is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, Intel, 2.8 GHz, 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
you could try resetting the smc.

also, are you working in an area where the vents could become obstructed (on a duvet or something? do you live in a hot area?

however, clicking sounds a lot like a hardware fault of the fan.
Hi! I did the resetting already. And no. I work on desk (these days with an additional cooling dock). And no, I don't live in a hot area. The maximum temperature in my city goes up to 30 Degrees (Celsius). Even then, my office is centrally air conditioned. So no question of external heating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Have you checked the inside of your computer to make sure it isn't dirty/full of fuzz...which would block cooling air from circulating?

Is your fan working properly (can you hear it running)?

- Nick
Yes, fan is working top-notch (maximum speed is around 6300 rpm). The insides have been cleaned once in the last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Certainly sounds like the fans are not working or are blocked. 85 is not unheard of though, and if the fans are on this is within barriers.
If you are still under Apple Care warranty, then get it back asap.
Yes indeed, I am under Apple Care warranty. But their solution involves Re-formatting the Hard Drive and Re-installing the OS - which is not possible atm because I need to finish a project that will take a couple of weeks more.

My problem is that when connected to the charger, overheating somehow does not cause an abrupt shutdown. But on battery, no warning, nothing - just -off-. Just like that. I also have had the battery inspected by the Apple Service Center. The 'health' meter in various third party monitors also show it to be 95%. So I am ruling out battery malfunction.

Anything else that might be the problem? Any specific coolant that's used in the heatsink? I am not aware of the exact hardware of the MBP. And Googling it for hours at end has proved futile
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hard drive recovery | App 4 Trackpad customizing Solid State Trackpad »