New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

hairline crack white unibody macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

craigmackem

craigmackem is on a distinguished road

has any1 experienced cracks on the lid of their white unibody macbook as i thought this problem was resolved?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmackem View Post
has any1 experienced cracks on the lid of their white unibody macbook as i thought this problem was resolved?
As far as I know...if you're talking the "back" of the display (the part with the Apple logo on it)...this part was never part of the problem (or at least not one of the parts that Apple will replace for free).

The two parts that are the problem are the display bezel & the "uppercase" the part that includes the keyboard and around the trackpad.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

oh dear....yeah its the part with the logo on. coming from the very corner of the hinge both sides where it is an exact right angle...its only ten months old...this shouldnt happen surely...??? p.s. thanx nick...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
oh dear....yeah its the part with the logo on. coming from the very corner of the hinge both sides where it is an exact right angle...its only ten months old...this shouldnt happen surely...??? p.s. thanx nick...
The material (plastic) that the lid cover is made of is pretty tough stuff & fairly thick. I don't believe that this part will just spontaneously crack. If it is cracked...this laptop must have been dropped...causing the crack.

Are we definitely talking a crack...or "crazing"...which are just "surface-looking" cracks...but really aren't cracks?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

there is 2 cracks from either side of the hinge around 10 mm long. i live alone and i have not dropped it. i am the only person who uses it. aged 38 no pets just noticed them when i cleaned it one day..will upload i picture...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
there is 2 cracks from either side of the hinge around 10 mm long. i live alone and i have not dropped it. i am the only person who uses it. aged 38 no pets just noticed them when i cleaned it one day..will upload i picture...
Awesome...pictures are always very helpful!...good pictures!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

got no idea how to upload a picture...? lol
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

lol nick...im trying it just asks for a url...need to do some reading up on how to upload a picture...lol
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
got no idea how to upload a picture...? lol
I use a website called "Photobucket" to host the photos. Then I copy the web address of the photo & insert it into a Mac-Forums post.

Other folks use other methods.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

not sure how to put a pic on but found a very similar picture on the net...maybe im not alone...?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
lol nick...im trying it just asks for a url...need to do some reading up on how to upload a picture...lol
If you truly have cracks where you mentioned (not crazing)...this is pretty darn unusual. Regardless of what we determine them to be here on Mac-Forums (photos or not)...you should probably check with Apple. Either go directly to your nearest Apple Store...or contact them via phone.

If you bought this computer new...and it's 10 months old (like you mentioned)...then it is still covered under Applecare...and it's possible Apple will replace the lid for free. BUt you need to speak with them about it.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

not quite as long as that but not far off....i am disapointed as i am so careful and believe that i have not done this.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Ahh...if that's where your cracks are (I thought you meant the corners of the lid, not near the hinge).

When ever I see this sort of cracking...the first thing I think of is...the user is being very rough with their laptop. What I mean by rough is:

- opening or closing the laptop lid with too much force or too quickly
- adjusting the angle of the laptop lid via one of the corners, rather than from the center top of the lid.

Many users don't think that they're being rough when they do this...but really they are. My wife does this all the time (adjusting the angle of the lid when open by just grasping one of the lids corners...and doing it too quickly). I "scold" her all the time for doing it!

When this is done...it puts a lot of "torque-stress" on the hinge area...and if done too often or forcefully...you get cracks.

I would still check with Apple about it...since it's still covered under warranty.

Thanks for the photo...that helped a lot,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

i am reading the net now and there is quite a few unibodys doin this after 3 months. mine was purchased on the 10th month last year so its about 7 or 8 month old...hmm i feel a bit better now as some other ppl have had theirs fixed under warranty things looking up. still tho its not great really i am so careful with all my stuff. my phone is 18 months old and would pass for new..same as my macbook would apart from the 2 cracks. otherwise i love it...! thanx nick. i will call in the metro centre apple shop and report back. thanx again
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
i am reading the net now and there is quite a few unibodys doin this after 3 months. mine was purchased on the 10th month last year so its about 7 or 8 month old...hmm i feel a bit better now as some other ppl have had theirs fixed under warranty
Remember...when you search the internet...you can ALWAYS find folks posting about problems just like yours. But statistically...these folks may only represent a very very small proportion of all owners of a specific product. So 99.99% of owners may not have any problems...and only 0.01% do have a problem. Just mentioning this for discussion's sake.

If some folks have had this repaired under warranty great...get to the Apple Store ASAP if you only have less than 2 months left.

But again...if you do get it fixed...in the future, don't adjust the angle of the laptop lid by grasping only one of the corners of the lid. Laptop lids & hinge mechanisms have always been a problem in many laptop models since the 1990's...and probably will continue to be a problem area.

Please let us know what Apple decides to do...so other Mac-Forum members that may have the same problem in the future will know what options they have available.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. The best way to safely adjust the angle of the MacBook lid is from the center of the lid...right where the webcam is.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing NTFS partition in Multi-boot Macbook Lion/Windows7/Ubuntu | New Adapters »