New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Need help before purchasing a MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

subkonshiss

subkonshiss is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I just found a MacBook for sale at a pretty nice price but I'm pretty new when it comes to anything Apple. I mainly want to get a MacBook so that I can get into video editing and stuff. However, before I purchase the MacBook I wanted to hear from people that could actually tell me if these specifications are any good, especially for what I want to use the MacBook for:

* 13.1 inch screen
* 1.83 GHz Intel Duo Core
* 1GB 867Mhz DDR2 SDRAM memory
* 60GB Hard Drive
* Combo Drive (reads & Burns CDs, reads DVDs)
* Airport Installed
* Bluetooth Installed

Do you guys think the 1GB of RAM and 1.83 GHz is fast enough to run and edit high quality videos smoothly? I'd just hate to purchase this smaller version of the MacBook and then realize after that it can't handle video editing as well as the bigger MacBook Pro can.

Thanks in advanced for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

If video editing is the only thing you have to do then I don't think you will encounter any problems. Make sure you only run a few apps at a time and use the Activity Monitor to close resource hogging processes. 60GB might be a bit short if you intend to have a large video library, though.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Moved. Doesn't belong in The Lounge.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
subkonshiss

well Video editing on iMovie is the main thing I plan on using it for. I'm sure ill use it to get on the internet a couple times and store a few pictures or type a few documents...but I dont plan on using it for any sort of video gaming or loading it up with music. Just mainly web surfing and video editing.
QUOTE Thanks
subkonshiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Moved. Doesn't belong in The Lounge.
Thanks, wasn't sure where to place it. Care to chime in on the question?
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

This is the absolute most basic first macbook every made. Not saying that that is a bad thing just something to keep in mind that it is going on 6 years old and computer tech moves fast.

For basic editing I think it will be fine but if we are talking actually high quality (720p or more) it probably will stutter a quite a bit.

If you dont mind my asking, what are they asking for the computer?

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

This won't be very satisfying for video editing high quality movies. If you want that, go for the Macpro.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
This won't be very satisfying for video editing high quality movies. If you want that, go for the Macpro.
+1

This machine will work just fine for other things, not for video editing I am afraid.
Maybe that is not the answer you wanted to hear, just trying to manage your expectations.

You could also have a look at the last version of the white MacBook, pretty nice machine according to my daughter and so far it has handled any video editing she has thrown at it very nicely.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro region dvd drama's | hard drive recovery »