New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook runs hotter than normal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Normally, my MacBook CPU runs at 120-125 fahrenheit when nothing else is running. Lately though, it seems to be running rather warm, around 145-150. I have made no changes to the amount of background processes when I boot up the MacBook everyday. I went through Activity Monitor and see nothing too unusual, though the process "system_kernel" is eating 57 threads.

I have thus far disabled all login items and the computer still hits 140-150.

If I close nearly every open application (with exception to Finder), the temp does not drop.

I have dusted the fan out and it seems to be working.

Is there anything else I should look at? Things in the Dashboard? smcFanControl?

I have recently switched over from using Safari to Google Chrome, and have installed the Google Notifier, however, even after those were installed (nearly a week ago), the temperature increase didn't start happening until yesterday. I have also recently updated Flash (if that's any problem).

Could something be going bad here? If I play any flash or java content on the internet (whether in Safari or in Chrome), the temp skyrockets to 170, when normally it doesn't get over 140-150.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.9.5
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post

Is there anything else I should look at? Things in the Dashboard? smcFanControl?
how warm is your environment, are you blocking the ports inadvertently (on a duvet or something).

background widgets running?

dont install smcfancontrol, unless you want to mash your fans.

another thing to do is try a cold boot. turn it off for a couple of hours to cool, then run again.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Anything "Flash" is going to drive the CPU temperature upward and the fan accordingly. I have an early 2008 MacBook Core 2 Duo which will run hotter than normal anytime Flash is used.

If you've opened up the machine and cleaned the fan and vents, that should help. It's possible your machine has a faulty thermal sensor which can cause the temps to go up before the fan kicks in and cools things down.

Monitor the RPM speed of your fan when the temperature appears to rise and let us know what it is. Normal idle fan speed for the MacBook should be around 1800 RPM with a temp of around 55 degrees C.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hey Chris have you had a look through The Official "My MacBook/Air/Pro is overheating, what do I do?" Guide.?? Some good info in there.

DashBoard ?? Do you use it ?? I disable DashBoard whenever i do a re-install . . . .

Open Terminal and copy and past this in and hit return
Code:
 defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
And then you you need to restart the dock
Code:
 killall Dock
Then Return again

As with smcFanControl i think it os ok as long as you know what is causing your fans to ho hard. If you dont as Rod stated it could do more damage to the fans themself.

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
how warm is your environment...
This was my first thought as well. With Summertime just around the corner (for the Northern hemisphere)...higher environmental temps WILL increase computer temps.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Yesterday it was 78 in the room, and I decided to shut it off and use another computer. I didn't turn it back on until this afternoon, and right now it's 73 in the room.

Within 5 minutes of turning the MB on today, the temp shot from 120 to 135...here we are an hour later and it's 154 with the fan running at 4100+/- RPM. (Temps in Fahrenheit).

I used to use dashboard for webclips, but now I just use the browser for anything. As for Flash content, before I updated it, the normal operating temp (such as when viewing YouTube videos) was about 145*F...if I view YouTube now, it hits 172*F. I'm highly suspecting the latest flash update is causing some issues with CPU usage. But even if I'm not using anything with flash, there still shouldn't be a reason why this computer is hitting even 150 with hardly anything running.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Hey Chris have you had a look through The Official "My MacBook/Air/Pro is overheating, what do I do?" Guide.?? Some good info in there.

DashBoard ?? Do you use it ?? I disable DashBoard whenever i do a re-install . . . .

Open Terminal and copy and past this in and hit return
Code:
 defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
And then you you need to restart the dock
Code:
 killall Dock
Then Return again

As with smcFanControl i think it os ok as long as you know what is causing your fans to ho hard. If you dont as Rod stated it could do more damage to the fans themself.

HTH

Cheers
I killed Dashboard, restarted the Dock. Hardly a dent in the fan speed or the temperature. If I reboot the computer, will that turn Dashboard back on? Or if I hit the Dashboard shortcut key (F4 on this MacBook) will that turn Dashboard back on?

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

I have reset the SMC (Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC))
and the fan kicked in extremely high upon boot up, but once I logged in, it still did not drop much. I'm letting the MacBook sit for awhile to cool and will see if it acts up again later tonight.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Okay...resetting the SMC did little...the system is reporting 135-140*F temperatures (and climbing) with a 3750 RPM speed (also climbing)...and it's only been on for five minutes.

So, what else could be causing this? There are no heavy tasks going on, Dashboard is disabled...could it really be that I'll have to spend money on a new logic board?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay...resetting the SMC did little...the system is reporting 135-140*F temperatures (and climbing) with a 3750 RPM speed (also climbing)...and it's only been on for five minutes.

So, what else could be causing this? There are no heavy tasks going on, Dashboard is disabled...could it really be that I'll have to spend money on a new logic board?
There is always the possibility that the fan is dirty...or some sort of "fuzz" is blocking the flow of cooling air. But folks have reported up to 90C+ (194F) with their MacBooks/MacBook Pros.

I saw that you mentioned 172F when watching You Tube videos. This sounds very normal...considering that the room temp is 73-78F, you're watching You-Tube videos (very demanding), and you're still well below 194F which some other folks have reported.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
There is always the possibility that the fan is dirty...or some sort of "fuzz" is blocking the flow of cooling air. But folks have reported up to 90C+ (194F) with their MacBooks/MacBook Pros.

I saw that you mentioned 172F when watching You Tube videos. This sounds very normal...considering that the room temp is 73-78F, you're watching You-Tube videos (very demanding), and you're still well below 194F which some other folks have reported.

HTH,

- Nick
Yes but usually when I view YouTube, it runs at 145-150, not 170.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Yes but usually when I view YouTube, it runs at 145-150, not 170.
I know what you're talking about...and I've noticed the same thing with my MacBook Pro. With higher environmental temperatures...my MacBook Pro has been running hotter as well.

I know in the Winter where my room temp. may be 65-67F & low humidity...my MacBook Pro runs cooler. Now that room temps are close to & sometimes above 80F...my computer is running hotter. Which logically can be expected. Cooling air at 65-67F is more effective than cooling air at 80F.

And this doesn't necessarily mean that there's a "linear relationship" between cooling air temps. and computer temps. If cooling air temp. increases by 15F...that doesn't necessarily mean that computer temp. should only go up by 15F. Computer temps will probably increase at an increased rate relative to cooling air temps.

- Nick

p.s. As I mentioned...it cols also be a dirty computer...but I'm betting it's the room temperature.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I know what you're talking about...and I've noticed the same thing with my MacBook Pro. With higher environmental temperatures...my MacBook Pro has been running hotter as well.

I know in the Winter where my room temp. may be 65-67F & low humidity...my MacBook Pro runs cooler. Now that room temps are close to & sometimes above 80F...my computer is running hotter. Which logically can be expected. Cooling air at 65-67F is more effective than cooling air at 80F.

And this doesn't necessarily mean that there's a "linear relationship" between cooling air temps. and computer temps. If cooling air temp. increases by 15F...that doesn't necessarily mean that computer temp. should only go up by 15F. Computer temps will probably increase at an increased rate relative to cooling air temps.

- Nick

p.s. As I mentioned...it cols also be a dirty computer...but I'm betting it's the room temperature.
Hmm...I understand. Well, the normal temperature of the living room is 72...on a hot day, about 78-80 (seeing that we don't yet have the swamp cooler on). Monday was a hot day, yesterday not so much and today not really...but the computer temperature still hits 150 in about an hour...with little room temperature change.

I looked at smcFanControl, and saw:

Why would it say null?

EDIT: A reboot of the computer changed it from "null" to "Exhaust". - there's only one fan in a MacBook though, right?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-05-25 at 12.44.31 PM.PNG (21.7 KB, 15 views)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Hmm...I understand. Well, the normal temperature of the living room is 72...on a hot day, about 78-80 (seeing that we don't yet have the swamp cooler on). Monday was a hot day, yesterday not so much and today not really...but the computer temperature still hits 150 in about an hour...with little room temperature change.

I looked at smcFanControl, and saw:

Why would it say null?

EDIT: A reboot of the computer changed it from "null" to "Exhaust". - there's only one fan in a MacBook though, right?
150F is not bad at all. Why SMC fan control says "null/exhaust"...I'm not sure. Maybe uninstalling SMCfancontrol could be tried (I don't use it). But I still say 150F is not that bad.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

This thread was featured on Mac-forums Twitter!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery not recognized | Macbook Water Damage »