New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading Hard Drive. Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joba

joba is on a distinguished road

Hey,

* Warning, may be a silly question.
I want to put a new bigger hard drive in my macbook.

I've sus it out, but all tutorials go through transfering data from your old to your new first.

Which I don't really want to do. Id rather selectively move what i need on to an external.

I would like to know, can I simply install and new hard drive, switch it on and install osx? or is there stuff that is needed on the hard drive to do this in the first place.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Yep, you can always just swap and install. Just boot off the restore media and go.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
JoshNathan

JoshNathan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 12gb RAM

Thank you Dysfunction, i was looking for an answer to this too.

iMac 27" i5 12GB RAM
MBP 13" in the near future
iPad 32gb wifi
iPhone 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Depending on how the drive comes formatted you might have to format it to HFS before installing but that can be done using Disk Utility from the restore disk.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what is acceptable heat? | What are the chance of the new MBP lacking a super drive? »