Which Formatting Option to select?

Question Which Formatting Option to select?
    Hello, I've just replaced the internal hard drive on my 13" MacBook Pro, it is the lastest model with the Thunderbolt port.

I have a backup of my original internal drive on an external drive that I made with Time Machine.

On the OS install I am not able to restore to it, I assume because it is not formatted. If I open Disk Utility, I take it that I need to create a partition.

I've selected a Volume Scheme of "1 partition". I am unsure of which Format option to select.

The options are:
    • Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    • Mac OS Extended
    • Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
    • Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)
    • MS-DOS (FAT)
    • ExFAT
    • Free Space

I just want it to act like the original internal drive (only with more capacity).

Thanks,
    GL.

Time Machine isn't used for doing a full-blown reinstall of OS X. It does backups of user data, but not full system clones. You will have to first re-install OS X from the install disc, then migrate your user(s) off the Time Machine backups.

As for formatting the drive, use Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thank you for your response lifeisabeach, it's very helpful.

Specs:
    G5 PPC Dual 2 gig 6gig ram 10.5.3 and a G4 Mirror Door dual 1.25 2 gig ram
    Along a similar line, I have a new Toshiba external 2 tb drive and it WILL NOT format to anything other than MS-DOS. I've tried as many permutations as I can think of including 2 partitions in case the G5 leopard can't handle over a TB (I have a Lacie 1TB and that is fine). Tried various formatting tricks and types no avail, any ideas would be VERY welcome. Have erased a few times in various formats as well, all with equal failure :-). I'm trying to use the 1TB Lacie as a Time machine drive and this new one as storage only, (FCP scratch etc) If not I can read and write in DOS (FAT), just wanted it OS Extended (Journaled) like the others really,. No sweat if it has to be DOS it has to be I guess. I'll wait the 18 hours to transfer Lacie to the Toshiba, didn't want to do it twice, so thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE. If I had a brain I'd be a menace, had another look and had the partition set on Master Boot NOT Apple Map. Sorry for my ineptitude.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    It's probably not the drive but your G5 refusing to format anything HFS+ that is larger than 1TB. Doesn't matter if you partition the drive as your G5 still "sees" it as being too large. Try formatting it with another Mac.

Specs:
    G5 PPC Dual 2 gig 6gig ram 10.5.3 and a G4 Mirror Door dual 1.25 2 gig ram
    For everyone who is thinking of a 2TB drive on a G5, It formatted HFS+ 2TB OK in one partition once I'd changed to Apple Map in the "options" tab at he bottom of the Partition page. Thanks again
    UPDATE:
    Although this 2TB Toshiba drive formatted without a hitch, I seem to have accumulated another problem. I copied the content of the 1TB drive over last night ( it took 12 hours), This morning the G5 is asleep (even though it set never to sleep). On a restart the drive appears and the content of the copy is there. Then it sleeps, eject drive, use a different USB input, sleeps, this G5 sleeps every 10 seconds, whichever USB I use, 23" display USB the Formac ADC USB and the USB on the front of the G5. I'm tempted to get a powered USB HUB and use it in the main USB on the back of the G5. Any ideas why my G5 has a sleep problem every time this drive is plugged in? Thanks again

Thread Information