New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

With following set up would I notice the processor difference?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JoshNathan

JoshNathan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 12gb RAM

I made a post earlier about hybrid drives and they answers with replacing the super drive with an ssd. With that in mind, and the following set up would I notice a massive difference in my mac?
Either the i5 or i7 MBP 13" 8gb ram and 128SSD bootdrive.
Basically would the .4ghz make a noticing difference when using applications like photoshop, illustrator and so on which is what I plan to use it for.
If not I'd rather save the 200 and get the 2.3ghz one.
All comments welcome.

iMac 27" i5 12GB RAM
MBP 13" in the near future
iPad 32gb wifi
iPhone 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

No, you won't really notice a difference.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Save the money and go for a larger SSD.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
purple

purple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM

Hybrid drive is often used to refer to a drive which has a larger amount of memory, not necessarily acting as a cache, with a spinning drive. A larger cached in a spinning hard drive is a good thing. Newegg reviews bad mouth hybrid drives. I think you are talking about an SSD, instead of hybrid drive. If you want to ask questions, you might ask OWC, Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC
QUOTE Thanks
johndope83

johndope83 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Save the money and go for a larger SSD.
+1 on this...

there's not much difference between the i5 and i7 model. IMHO, i'd go with the i5 model.

Also, heard there's some issue with the i7 model when running windows.

13-macbook-pro-core-i7-turbo-boost-disabled-when-running-windows/

All in all, the price difference between the two (i5 vs i7) the extra few hundred bucks with teh i7 would be more useful in upgrading your RAM and getting an SSD.

HTH!

Cheers!!!

2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Help!! | Auto login to email site »