New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Seating RAM and keeping it seated? 15-inch/1.33 Ghz PBG4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

evolutionairy

evolutionairy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MBP, iPad2 (Wifi), iPhone4s

Hello!

The question:
Does anyone know of any way to tighten the RAM banks on an Aluminum 15-inch 1.33Ghz PowerBook G4 so the RAM doesn't keep coming unseated? Seemingly spontaneoulsy?

The explanation:
I originally posted here at this link: PowerBook G4 Hard Freezes

about the problems I was having with a 15-inch 1.33Ghz/1Gb PowerBook G4.

I've been able to determine that it's not my logic board, not my hard drive, my RAM is good (swapped it out, passes tests, banks OK, even works in another Mac). I still get kernel panics (KPs) and freezes like crazy and I finally got "boops." ...3 of them on start-up.

SO I got it going, and started up TechTools Pro (before it KP'd on me) and what do I see? Only one RAM chip is recognized. Odd... I JUST SEATED IT! Opened back up....you know the drill... works a few minutes... KP. Open, re-seat, repeat.

Thanks so much!
Amy
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I doubt the modules are unseating themselves. It's more likely that one of the memory slot receptacles is damaged. And if it is, you'll need a new logic board. I know that sounds drastic and expensive, but there is no way to change out a memory slot without replacing the entire board.

What you can try:

Buy a can of compressed air at any electronic supply, blow some blasts of air into the empty memory slots. That might help although if the slot is damaged it won't make a difference. Worth a try.

If you do have to change the logic board, look in the back of MacWorld magazine. There a number of authorized Mac repair dealers who advertise and offer logic board replacement and repair.
QUOTE Thanks
thurstmw

thurstmw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333

Duct tape?

Yes that is a grizzlycorn
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

no that is how you fix a chevy along with bailing wire

Technically I guess you could use a dab of hot glue to keep them seated but a new motherboard would be best.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
evolutionairy

I JUST finished blowing out the slots and re-seating. : )

It stayed up long enough to get about 1/2 way through the disk repair of Applejack before it threw a KP this time. If the lower slot is toast, I don't think I'll replace the logic board - I was checking around for prices, and at that price I could just buy another PBG4.

Since it was running nicely on 1Gb, what do you think about slotting 1Gb in the upper bank and just saying, "oh well," if the lower slot goes completely?

Thanks!
Amy
QUOTE Thanks
evolutionairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurstmw View Post
Duct tape?
Don't think I didn't almost try it....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Hi Amy:

Quote:
Since it was running nicely on 1Gb, what do you think about slotting 1Gb in the upper bank and just saying, "oh well," if the lower slot goes completely?
Save your pennies. It's time for a nice brand new shiny Mac. $$$
QUOTE Thanks
evolutionairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Save your pennies. It's time for a nice brand new shiny Mac. $$$
You are NOT wrong.

Fortunately, I have a shiny, relatively new Mac (2.4Ghz MBP, just over a year old). The PBG4 belongs to my housemate, and I just *hate* seeing Macs die.

Because I couldn't bear to see it go, I swapped out the 160Gb HD for an 80Gb, slotted just the upper bank, installed OS X 10.5, and ran all the updates. She's been surfacing the web and checking her email for the last hour and no KPs...

Thank you all for all the input and help!

Amy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Potentially buying a macbook pro and want to upgrade HDD | My Experencine w/ macbook pro and Apple- Horrible »