New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

having some serious issues...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

speedydave

I bought my first Mac, a 15" PB G4, a few months ago. It worked great and was super stable on 10.4.1 for a while, and I love OSX, but I've been having some serious problems with it. During an event I was covering (photographing), the hard drive died (this was when the computer was six weeks old). I tried to repair permissions, repair the disk, etc, but the only thing that got me anywhere was repair disk, which got me a "Keys out of order" error. Brought it to the Apple Store and had them replace the HD under warranty. When I got it back, I set OSX back up and downloaded all of the updates, including the bundle to 10.4.2 (and, of course, I repaired permissions). It ran fine for a while, though much less stable than when I was running 4.1.

Then, one day I went to download some new updates that had come out, some of which required restarting after install. Upon restarting, the login screen would not load no matter how long I let it sit. I went through hardware tests and made several attempts to try to find out what was wrong, but decided not to mess with it. In a hopeful attempt to help my PB not have any problems again, I installed a Western Digital 80GB hard drive and put the Hitachi from the PB into an external enclosure. I installed 10.4 and downloaded all of the updates except for one - the 10.4.2 combo.

The PB ran fine for a while, so I decided to go ahead and update to 10.4.2 and download the other updates that were there in the process. Upon rebooting, none of my input keys would work (to enter my password to log in). The Caps Lock key works, the screen and keyboard brightness keys work, the volume keys work, the eject key works, but none of the actual character input keys work. I plugged in my Apple USB keyboard and got the same result. I plugged in my external hard drive (the Hitachi) and got the same problem I had gotten with it before, so I decided to do an Archive and Install on it. That went fine, and I can log in fine and use the machine that way (which is what I'm doing to post this thread). A couple days later (today) I tried to do an Archive and Install on the WD drive that's in the PB so I can use it without having to drag the external with me all the time. Install got part of the way through the first OSX disc when I got an error message telling me to try to install again. I rebooted, tried to reinstall OSX, and now I don't get any options to install OSX to. Go to Disk Utility and my internal HD is unmounted and refuses to mount (same as before). I tried to repair the disk and get the same "Keys out of order" error as before.

Oh, and somewhere in the middle of all that, a 1GB stick of Corsair RAM died in my PB, pretty soon after I got the computer back with the replacement hard drive.

I love the OSX operating system, and I know that Macs are some of the most stable and reliable computers available, but what gives? This has been, by far, the most frustrating eperience I've ever had with a computer (and I own a Dell!). Somebody help me...
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Hey Dave,

Sounds like your PowerBook is giving you some real issues, Macs are never if healthy as unreliable as that, ten years of using them has shown me that. My 12" PowerBook is only 2 1/2 weeks old and already Tiger was throwing fits. Basically the system would just freeze solid, force quit would do nothing and had to forcibly power down.

Like you, my Macintosh HD partition would not mount due to a corrupt file system and Disk utility cannot repair.

I have also heard of other solid Macs failing when Tiger and the 10.4.2 is applied and I am becoming suspcious of its reliability; and where I work (an Authorised AppleCentre here in the UK) I find it hard to hide my suspicions about this particular update having suffered from Tiger being unreliable on my own PowerBook.

Now my issue could be a failing drive, faulty disk controller or indeed logic board, I will find out this week, meanwhile like you I have a Dell laptop I wish to rid myself of which I am having to use in the meantime, painful! I'm looking forward to work where I can use my eMac!!

The only thing I can offer is for you to try this:

- Turn machine on without external drive plugged in
- Hold down Command (apple) + S
- The single user mode will start, black screeen with white text, BSD sh shell basically
- At the prompt type: fsck -fy <PRESS ENTER>

FileSystemChecK will go through your hard drive more thoroughly and attempt to repair, it might fix things Disk Utility won't and the install will work.

IMO, steer clear of the 10.4.2 update, and wait till Apple releases subsequent updates because I hate to say this but I have grave reservations over 10.4.2; as even dare I say it (breathes in) this Dell laptop didn't crash as much as my 12" PowerBook did. (shuddering!) And hence, that is very unlike a Mac, and certainly unlike any Mac that I have owned.

Either way I share your frustration!

BTW: Do/did you have the Classic environment installed at all?

Let me know how you get on and I'll get back to you about how my PowerBook gets on.

HTH! :flower:

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
speedydave

Tried that - no dice. Volume can't be repaired.

I didn't have the Classic environment installed.

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Tough luck, I'll do my best to look up some info that might help you, but maybe no luck now.

Personally, I have had no problems with Tiger, and have had it be more reliable than Panther was. I have it on a 17" Powerbook, a 400Mhz Powermac G4, a 366Mhz iBook Clamshell, and two friends have it on 400 and 450Mhz Powermac G3s, none of which have had any problems. I think you guys might have caught some lemons. But, I'll look around for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacOS X Tiger on iBook | Hinge problems anyone? »