New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Air or Macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

carenburg

carenburg is on a distinguished road

Hello i am a student in High school, i guess you could call me "Tech Savvy" because i run a forum (and know how it works). I use a laptop every day in the class room (have a learning disability) so i need a light computer (thus the mac line) i also need a computer that i well be able to right code on and develop websites on. I well also be running VMware (because of the student discount). The two laptops that it has come down to are the Macbook Air (base model) or Macbook (base model) they cost the same price at out local stores. What would you suggest?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Both will accomplish what you need.

However, you will be disappointed with the response of both the OSX and whatever OS you end up running in VMWare. Since using virtual machines requires the host machine to share its hardware with the virtual machine, both slow way down.

If you have to run a separate OS other than OSX for school, then I would strongly suggest getting the MacBook with a larger hard drive (and upgradeable down the line where the Air is not.) You can double the memory for $100 on either - do it. It will make a big difference especially if you are ****-bent on using VMWare.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
carenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Both will accomplish what you need.

However, you will be disappointed with the response of both the OSX and whatever OS you end up running in VMWare. Since using virtual machines requires the host machine to share its hardware with the virtual machine, both slow way down.

If you have to run a separate OS other than OSX for school, then I would strongly suggest getting the MacBook with a larger hard drive (and upgradeable down the line where the Air is not.) You can double the memory for $100 on either - do it. It will make a big difference especially if you are ****-bent on using VMWare.
Ok thank you i was leaning towards the Macbook. I well be buying from a local store and all they have are the base models. I need to run a VB for some of my programs and compatibility reasons for school
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Just an FYI look on apple.com refurb they have some of the new 2011 atleast they did erlier of the 13"mac pros lot more powerfull about the same price.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
carenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramimac1 View Post
Just an FYI look on apple.com refurb they have some of the new 2011 atleast they did erlier of the 13"mac pros lot more powerfull about the same price.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)
Thanks!! Mom does not want me to get a refurb but i think they are just as good as the new ones (for what i want). She also thinks they are to much for a refurb but it is my money not hers
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

It is bran new off the line and had an issue at the time of testing it the only issue..

also same warranty and free shipping.

That is how I bought my iMac same product especially since it is this model year and Twice the machine of the macbook

Don't forget also that if you order a new one (not refurb) from apple you get a discount for being a student

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/cam...co=MTAyNTQzODI

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I would look into Bootcamp before VMware. It is included with osx.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
carenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramimac1 View Post
It is bran new off the line and had an issue at the time of testing it the only issue..

also same warranty and free shipping.

That is how I bought my iMac same product especially since it is this model year and Twice the machine of the macbook

Don't forget also that if you order a new one (not refurb) from apple you get a discount for being a student

Apple Education Pricing - Apple Store (U.S.)

Ok. And discount only applies to post secondary
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

works from K to college as far as I understand.

Click on the http://store.apple.com/us-hed/findyourschool

and see if you school is listed.

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hard drive busted-how to use time machine | Newbie- How to print only a paragraph only from a page? »