New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro HDD speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Mac DJ

The Mac DJ is on a distinguished road

I thought I had it all figured out on exactly what I wanted in the Macbook Pro I'm going to be purchasing shortly, but I am still stuck on the HDD.

Im sure this topic has come up a million times by now, but I feel better starting my own topic on it.

Now everyone wants a SSD but not everyone has the kind of cash flow to throw away on one.

So its between the 500gb 5400rpm and the 7200rpm

is the 100 dollar upgrade worth it? I use my computer a lot and leave it on for hours on end. in the new macbookpros is it loud? does it heat up the laptop after a while? I need to know stuff like this. I have the $100 to toss up for it, I just want to know if its right for me.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
The Mac DJ

im actually kind of considering the 128 SSD, but very worried it wont be enough. 256 would be but still way too expensive!

and another thing. What brand of HDD and SSD does mac put in their new MBP's?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

My advice is to buy your MBP with the standard configuration of memory and hard drive. You can upgrade both yourself at much less cost than what Apple will charge. Both are easy upgrades and can be done as a DIY project.

As for the 5400 vs 7200 RPM drives.... The 7200 RPM drives provide faster boot times and access with no increase in heat or battery usage.
QUOTE Thanks
The Mac DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
My advice is to buy your MBP with the standard configuration of memory and hard drive. You can upgrade both yourself at much less cost than what Apple will charge. Both are easy upgrades and can be done as a DIY project.

As for the 5400 vs 7200 RPM drives.... The 7200 RPM drives provide faster boot times and access with no increase in heat or battery usage.
is it cheaper just leave the standard 500gb 5400rpm hard drive and buy my own 256gb SSD or should i get the one mac offers.

What kind of SSD do they put in the MBP anyways? like what brand?

and yes im gonna upgrade the RAM myself.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

+1 - buy the standard config. Then, after you have experience with it doing YOUR kind of work on it, you can very clearly see for yourself if/when a change should be made. A brand new 750gig 7200 drive you install yourself is less than $100, so it's really not a huge issue.

SSD - that's a huge issue, because most people will be very cramped in even a 250gig model.

For me - I'm sticking with the cheapest I could buy - it works just fine for me at this point in time. Then, I'll get a 500gig SSD after the prices come down to earth.

2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
QUOTE Thanks
The Mac DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy12 View Post
+1 - buy the standard config. Then, after you have experience with it doing YOUR kind of work on it, you can very clearly see for yourself if/when a change should be made. A brand new 750gig 7200 drive you install yourself is less than $100, so it's really not a huge issue.

SSD - that's a huge issue, because most people will be very cramped in even a 250gig model.

For me - I'm sticking with the cheapest I could buy - it works just fine for me at this point in time. Then, I'll get a 500gig SSD after the prices come down to earth.
Yea you make a valid point. In a couple years price will most likely drop dramatically. I need at least 320 gigs. 250 is cutting it close and 500gigs is very comfortable.

What HDD brand would you suggest for my 2.5" 7200rpm sata?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mac DJ View Post
Yea you make a valid point. In a couple years price will most likely drop dramatically. I need at least 320 gigs. 250 is cutting it close and 500gigs is very comfortable.

What HDD brand would you suggest for my 2.5" 7200rpm sata?
Lets not open that can of worms. >_<" There has been many debates on brands of HDD. >_>"

Just do some product reviews and price comparisons.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
The Mac DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Lets not open that can of worms. >_<" There has been many debates on brands of HDD. >_>"

I actually was just looking up most reviews and it seems to be that majority of people like Western Digital, so I'm going to go with them.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post

You're absolutely right, besides in the end most MTBF's for consumer level drives are similar enough that everything else in anecdotal. There really are only a handful of actual manufacturers anyway.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie- How to print only a paragraph only from a page? | macbook pro snow leopard fails to print correctly on any printer »