New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

17" macbook pro on craigslist $1,100.00?

Thread Closed

velvetsan

velvetsan is on a distinguished road

I am looking to buy my first macbook pro. Found one on craigslist for $1,100.

It's in absolutely pristine condition,no scratches,dings or dents, works perfectly and never had any problems.I'm selling this item because I already bought a MacBook Air. The laptop is under Apple Care warranty until 1/18/2014. It's like new, and I still have the original purchase receipt, so you can transfer the warranty without any problem. This is maxed out unit, runs Snow Leopard 10.6.7, loaded with MS office 2011, iWork, iLife, Adobe master Suite CS5(full version, not trial version),Final Cut Pro 7 Complete, I will run all the updates on all applications and make sure you can use them right away. The final price I want for it is 1100.

He provided me with serial number, is there a way to check it out?
Is this for real or a scam?
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

You can go here to verify the warranty coverage with the serial number that was provided.

You can also go here to check the specs of the system based on the serial number.

Also, that software is great but without the discs it is considered pirated and illegal software. That price is pretty low for a current 17" MBP, and I am always skeptical on these low prices. Also, he posted no details on the machine and that always makes me wonder if they even know them.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
velvetsan

Specs he provided me with are:

2.8GHZ Intel i7 Processor
8GB RAM DDR3
500GB HDD 7200 RPM
1920 x 1200 High Resolution A/G Display
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.7
Apple Box + Magsafe Wall Charger & Extension Cord & Manuals Are Included
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetsan View Post
Is this for real or a scam?
My humble opinion...probably a scam!

There's almost no way you're going to get a:

- 17" MacBook Pro
- with a 2.8ghz i7 processor
- 8 gig of ram
- with warranty till 2014

...for $1100 bucks...and it actually works!!!

You can get an older (couple years old):

- 17" MacBook Pro
- with a 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo cpu
- 4 gig of ram
- probably no warranty

...for around $1200...but NOT with an i7 cpu, 8 gig of ram, and almost 3 years of warranty.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

With those specs it is a scam. That machine is worth twice that, and nobody selling legitimately will take that much of a price hit.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Right...

A machine that cost $3,000 4 months ago, along with another $2500 in software.

All for $1100.

Shoot, I'll take 2 of 'em.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

As John and Nick pointed out, it's likely a scam or stolen merchandise. Stay away from it.
velvetsan

Before we go forward with this sale I want to tell you that I'm in Bismarck, North Dakota.
I will make the deal only through eBay. I'm a member of the eBay Buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery and the shipping will be supported by me. Only after the 5 days,if you will confirm the purchase to eBay, they will release the funds to me.
Let me know if you are still interested in buying it and also include in your next email your contact info ( full name and address ) so I can forward them to eBay and set up the transaction. You will be automatically included in the eBay Buyer Protection program and you will receive an invoice with further info about the process.
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetsan View Post
Before we go forward with this sale I want to tell you that I'm in Bismarck, North Dakota.
I will make the deal only through eBay. I'm a member of the eBay Buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery and the shipping will be supported by me. Only after the 5 days,if you will confirm the purchase to eBay, they will release the funds to me.
Let me know if you are still interested in buying it and also include in your next email your contact info ( full name and address ) so I can forward them to eBay and set up the transaction. You will be automatically included in the eBay Buyer Protection program and you will receive an invoice with further info about the process.
This is exactly what I was concerned about when I read the OP's original post...the OP is the scammer!!!

Thread closed.

- Nck

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Closed

« Is my new mbp boiling? | deleted application »