New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Virtual Memory Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mntnblaster

mntnblaster is on a distinguished road

Running Mac OSX 10.6.7 on a 2011 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 320GB HDD MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM and all of a sudden my Mac went from having 130GB free to 2GB of free space and noticed on Activity Monitor that virtual memory size is in the 130GB range. Any idea why this may be?
QUOTE Thanks
johndope83

johndope83 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

Try and grab this freeware utility to visually see a virtual map of your hard disk Disk Inventory X

By the way, did you install anything before this happened?

2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
CodeSamurai

CodeSamurai has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD

Hello!

The 2GB of free space you are talking about is most likely referring to your RAM and not your HDD. 2GB of free space is perfectly normal. The 130GB of virtual memory is just referring to the amount of HDD space that could potentially be used by programs as extra memory if needed. If you want to know the actual amount of HDD space remaining, go into your finder and look at the bottom bar. It should give you an exact amount remaining.

Hope that helps!
Code

CodeSamurai | Facebook
Twitter >> Flickr
15.4" 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro w/ High-res antiglare screen and Nvidia 650m GT w/ 1GB VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
mntnblaster

@ CodeSamurai:
I have 2GB of remaining HDD space. Literally in a span of 10 minutes it went from 130GB to only 2GB without my having done anything like install any programs, updates, or add videos, music or pictures to my laptop. I only had 160GB filled of the 319GB total HDD space.

@ johndope83: The last thing I did was update a driver for my 1TB WD external hard drive and perform a routine backup, post some pictures on Facebook, and watch a show on my laptop. My WD software that backs up everything on my laptop gives me a visual of what is on my laptop and what is on the external hard drive. Somehow there is something in my system files that is taking up those 130GB that went missing in the blink of an eye. I had to relocate my iTunes Media to this 1TB external to free up 60GB of space.
QUOTE Thanks
johndope83

johndope83 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnblaster View Post
@ CodeSamurai:
I have 2GB of remaining HDD space. Literally in a span of 10 minutes it went from 130GB to only 2GB without my having done anything like install any programs, updates, or add videos, music or pictures to my laptop. I only had 160GB filled of the 319GB total HDD space.

@ johndope83: The last thing I did was update a driver for my 1TB WD external hard drive and perform a routine backup, post some pictures on Facebook, and watch a show on my laptop. My WD software that backs up everything on my laptop gives me a visual of what is on my laptop and what is on the external hard drive. Somehow there is something in my system files that is taking up those 130GB that went missing in the blink of an eye. I had to relocate my iTunes Media to this 1TB external to free up 60GB of space.
are saying that your WD software acts like time machine and backs up your files in your HDD?

And if you say that your WD software gives you a visual map of what's in your HDDs (so it's like Disk Inventory X) then have you noticed any big chunk of file in it?

2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
mntnblaster

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Few questions on Macbook Pro!!! Please help! | MAC Book external charger? »