New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

G4 ibook not connecting to wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alan8657

alan8657 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have an old G4 14" 933mhz 640 mb that I have done a clean installation of the original OS discs to 10.3 and updated to 10.3.9 via ethernet cable direct link. There are two odd problems now, first it will not connect wirelessly to my virgin router - it says the password is invalid, even though I have just connected a newer macbook with the same password by wireless. Secondly it will not connect to the hotmail page, when connected by ethernet cable. Could these issues be related to the OS? it worked fine on wireless before I reloaded the OS. Would there be any benefit in me buying an old copy of 10.4? thanks for your thoughts! Alan
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

What kind of wireless security are you using on your router?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
alan8657

The router is a Virgin Media, Netgear VMGD 280 model and will be set for WPA2 according to the device documentation but it is not a subject I know about
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan8657 View Post
The router is a Virgin Media, Netgear VMGD 280 model and will be set for WPA2 according to the device documentation but it is not a subject I know about
OK, that's what I needed to know. I'm going to make an educated guess here, because 10.3 is quite old now and it's not a version that I've ever used, but I'd venture to say that the driver for the wireless adapter built into your G4 iBook probably doesn't support WPA2, which is a relatively new wireless encryption standard. It certainly would post-date the last update to 10.3 at the very least.

This puts you into quite the conundrum because you really do want to use WPA2 encryption where available, but it's probably not practical to upgrade to 10.4 or 10.5 with a machine of that vintage.

I would say that if you really must use the iBook wirelessly, your best option would be to log into the router and change the encryption to WPA (as opposed to WPA2) and see if it works with it. This will degrade your network's security slightly, but for the most part, WPA is perfectly viable even today.

The specific process for making this change is going to vary from wireless router to wireless router. Hopefully your router came with some documentation (it may have been including electronically on the CD that came with it). Generally the process will be to connect to the router by visiting a special webpage, logging in and finding the wireless security settings to change and subsequently save the changes. Then, you'll need to reconnect to the router on each computer that uses it wirelessly.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
alan8657

Thanks for this very helpful answer and I think I could log onto the router and make the change. My real concern is in that having just purchased a newer, used macbook, I plan to try and sell my G4 ibook but don't want a new owner to have issues with it. Do you think upgrading to 10.4 would be too much for the G4 ibook?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

10.4 (retail) is going to be hard to find and potentially expensive (same thing for 10.5). You'd also probably need to upgrade the memory. My only concern would be that you'd hit the point of diminishing returns pretty quickly with a machine of that vintage.

QUOTE Thanks
alan8657

Yes, I understand what you are saying and it's funny that older OS versions are more expensive than current. Thanks for your advice!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo or 2.0 GHz Quad-Core i7? | SSD and HDD in MacBook Pro, Help Please. »