New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

getting just a few more months out of a macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

widespreadpanic

widespreadpanic is on a distinguished road

Hello all!

I have a MacBook (Summer '07) w. an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (2.16GHz), 120 GB HD, 240 GB External HD, and 1 GB RAM. I'm running SnowLeopard on it 10.6.7 currently.

I've had this laptop since I came to college in Fall of 2007, and I'll be getting a new one coming up in the next couple of months as I head to Law School.

With that being said, I'm currently having some performance issues with it. I know you're probably reading this and thinking "With 1 GB of memory, no sh*t you're having issues." But I don't want to pay to upgrade the ram when I'm getting a new one in the very near future.

Lately everything's been running much slower. I moved almost all of my documents, music, and photos to the external HD and currently have 77.48 GB available on the HD. (12 GBs of docs, music, and photos still on HD, the rest is apps and system.) I've AppZapped all the old apps I don't use anymore, run onyx and verified permissions and disk, and even did a re-install when it ran across something out of place.

I'm not trying to crank out max speeds on such scarce resources, but lately, a video (youtube or vimeo) or a flash game on the internet has been slowing my computer down tremendously and causing my fan to run VERY loudly, its pretty embarrassing in class. Anything I can do to correct the sloth and noise? Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. I had to replace the LCD display a few months ago because it got damaged. I noticed after a I finished replacing the screen that I had about six of those pesky tiny screws that never found there way home... could this lead to the loud whirring of the fans?

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

It certainly could be the screws that are causing the issues. Best advice I could give here, as you have seemed to have tried most things already is to use iFixit guides to re-open the laptop and make sure all them screws are back in place.

HTH,
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
widespreadpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
It certainly could be the screws that are causing the issues. Best advice I could give here, as you have seemed to have tried most things already is to use iFixit guides to re-open the laptop and make sure all them screws are back in place.

HTH,
- Simon
I suspected that may be an issue, but I wasn't sure since it only happened when loading videos. Any clues how to speed things up a little until I get the new MBP?

Thanks again for all your help!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Up the RAM to the Max. I think that model Macbook takes 4GB. That would help a lot with Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
widespreadpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Up the RAM to the Max. I think that model Macbook takes 4GB. That would help a lot with Snow Leopard.
Thanks for responding, in the OP I stated that upgrading was not an option for me as I will be getting a new MBP in just a few months, I'd rather not spend money on RAM that I will only use for a short time. Any other suggestions? Maybe I should go back to using Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Must have missed that part. With 1GB RAM and Leopard it will be about the same. Leopard really needs more than 1GB also for running more than one or two apps at a time. So besides the RAM I really can't think of much besides running ONYX on it and cleaning it up a bit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange Bluetooth Issue - Keyboard & Magic Trackpad Won't Wakeup MBP | MacBook Audio Out Jack Trouble »