Question Hard Drive Failure
    Hello,

I have a 15" macbook pro that I bought in January 2010 so it is just out of warranty. The hard drive failed in it about two weeks ago. I brought it to an "authorized" repair shop here where I live and they ordered one in and I had to pay $275 plus tax for it - came to over $300.

I'm wondering if I have been ripped off? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Aubrey

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Well - I don't know what constitutes being 'ripped off'. You didn't say which hard drive you had put in - but you definitely paid at least $150 possibly up to $200 for labor. Here's what you would have paid for a replacement - depending on which one you wanted. 2.5" Laptop Hard Drives & SSD for MacBook, PowerBook, iBook, and PC Laptop/NoteBook systems Serial ATA & IDE/ATA

Ripped off
    Hmmm...no, the price on the invoice was $275 for the hard drive itself; I had to pay more than $200 to have it replaced; the total bill was $480.

According to the prices on the site you posted, it appears that I was fleeced for sure.

Someone also mentioned to me that hard drives might be warranted for more than one year - is that right? I guess what I am asking , was my failed hard drive covered under warranty? I didn't buy the Apple Care thing.

Thanks,
    Aubrey

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    No, the hard drive which was removed was not under the manufacturer's warranty as it's considered to be an OEM part. It was warranted by Apple for one year. If you had purchased Apple care, that warranty would have been extended to three years.

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Did you register the drive when you purchased the machine? WD and Seagate generally offer a longer than one year warranty on registered drives so worth a try. Think they saw you coming from afar as for that money could have purchased a nice SSD!
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information