Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: slow MBP

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 07, 2010
    Posts
    8
    slow MBP
    my lappy is running really slow. it shows mostly when browsing the web, but i erased my free space with the 7x scan option in disk utility. its running a lot better but no where what it used to. nothing is taking up cpu except running programs typically mail safari and i tunes but they don't really go over 2-3%. as it is right now, sites open slowly videos hardly buffer at all. what should i do to get some more speed?

    oh and i do have a bunch of things that show up in the activity monitor but dont use any cpu, for what its worth

    thanks guys

  2. #2

    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    What kind of computer is it (specs)? and what OS?
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Oct 07, 2010
    Posts
    8
    its a macbook pro with 2.66 ghz core 2 duo with 4gigs of ram and 156 gb left on the HD
    its running 10.6.7

  4. #4

    EvenStranger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 09, 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    844
    Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    One thing that does slow down network traffic on Macs is the order in which the network devices are listed. Open the Network preference pane. Click the gear at the bottom and select Set Service Order. If Bluetooth and Firewire are above Ethernet and Airport, drag and drop them so BT and FW are at the bottom of the list. Typically, I set mine up with Ethernet, Airport, any 3rd party wifi or cell card, FW, BT. When BT is at the top of the list, all network requests try to resolve via BT first, then after a few seconds, they give up and move to the next option. By moving the fastest options first, you eliminate a lot of that lag.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Oct 07, 2010
    Posts
    8
    that did help Stranger but still not the whole problem. maybe its my ports or something

  6. #6

    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2011
    Posts
    24
    Specs:
    2010 Mac Pro | 2011 15" MacBook Pro | 2009 13" MacBook Pro
    You may also benefit from defragmenting your hard drive. However, do to this you'll need two things, I believe:

    1) The ability to boot your Macbook from another/separate partition than the one you want to defragment.

    2) A utility with disk defragmenting tools (like Drive Genius).

    If you've been using your Mac for a while and have never defragmented its disk it may make a noticable improvement in your hard drive's speed.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    May 03, 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    You may also benefit from defragmenting your hard drive. However, do to this you'll need two things, I believe:

    1) The ability to boot your Macbook from another/separate partition than the one you want to defragment.

    2) A utility with disk defragmenting tools (like Drive Genius).

    If you've been using your Mac for a while and have never defragmented its disk it may make a noticable improvement in your hard drive's speed.

    i thought defragment is automatically done each time we reboot the Mac?

    or i got this wrong??

  8. #8

    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2011
    Posts
    24
    Specs:
    2010 Mac Pro | 2011 15" MacBook Pro | 2009 13" MacBook Pro
    No, Mac's do not defragment automatically with boot up...that'd really slow you down as defragmentation takes a little while even on a fast 7,200rpm drive...especially if its heavily fragmented (which is likely if its never been defragmented). I'm not sure why Apple doesn't include any mechanism to defragment the hard drive as its quite necessary to maintain top performance.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    May 03, 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    No, Mac's do not defragment automatically with boot up...that'd really slow you down as defragmentation takes a little while even on a fast 7,200rpm drive...especially if its heavily fragmented (which is likely if its never been defragmented). I'm not sure why Apple doesn't include any mechanism to defragment the hard drive as its quite necessary to maintain top performance.
    ok, how often do you need to do this?

    a bit dissapointed when i heard this coz the reason i bought a Mac was because i dont like the hassle of maintaining the windows, had too much issues and i am not really computer savvy.

    needed something that needs minimal software maintainence and will keep going and going

  10. #10

    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2011
    Posts
    24
    Specs:
    2010 Mac Pro | 2011 15" MacBook Pro | 2009 13" MacBook Pro
    If you use your Mac daily I'd recommend defragmenting at least 1 or 2 times a month.
    Macs? Oh yes, several.

  11. #11

    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Actually, Macs to take care of most fragmentation issues themselves.

    As for Haalcyon's tip to defrag 1-2x month? Hahaha, try I've never done that the entire time I've used a Mac, and that's been 24 years. This isn't Windows, don't treat it like it is.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  12. #12


    Member Since
    May 03, 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Actually, Macs to take care of most fragmentation issues themselves.

    As for Haalcyon's tip to defrag 1-2x month? Hahaha, try I've never done that the entire time I've used a Mac, and that's been 24 years. This isn't Windows, don't treat it like it is.
    man i am glad to read that. i hate doing all these maintainence as i am not good at it at all and being lazy - main reason i got a Mac.

  13. #13

    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    But that being said, do you leave your computer on overnight? Or do you sleep/shut down? Reason being, OS X does maintenance scripts overnight that can help keep the system clean and running smoothly.

    If you don't you can download an app like Onyx (make sure you get the version for your OS) and manually run the scripts when you like.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  14. #14


    Member Since
    May 03, 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    But that being said, do you leave your computer on overnight? Or do you sleep/shut down? Reason being, OS X does maintenance scripts overnight that can help keep the system clean and running smoothly.

    If you don't you can download an app like Onyx (make sure you get the version for your OS) and manually run the scripts when you like.

    mmm...my Mac is 5 days old now hehehe

    1. yes i leave it on overnight

    2. in the morning say 7am, i usually close the screen to put it to sleep, pull out the plug

    3. once i get home from work, say 7 or 8pm, i plug it in again, open the lid and use it

    i was told not necessary to shut it down unless it is for a long period

  15. #15

    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    You shouldn't have any issues then.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Why is my new MBP so slow?
    By IRL in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 11:58 PM
  2. is my MBP slow?
    By ulf in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 05:41 PM
  3. MBP slow bootup & running VERY slow
    By markwco in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
  4. My MBP is running slow
    By Chris1111 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
  5. MBP too slow
    By maclady in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •