New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook shuts down while plugging in

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robertfoshizzle

robertfoshizzle is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I have been able to find lots of discussions on the internet about Macbook power issues, but not my particular problem.

I bought a Macbook on eBay that had a dead battery. Worked great plugged in except it would shut off occasionally (power interruptions I'm assuming).

I just got a new battery yesterday, popped it in, and it charges and works great. So I can unplug the charger (either from the Macbook or from the wall) and the computer stays on and works fine.

However, the instant I plug it back in (once again, either into the Macbook or the wall), the computer shuts down. This happens 100% of the time. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,
Robert
QUOTE Thanks
tvick47

tvick47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" i7 2.2

What is the wattage of the charger and the size of the MacBook Pro? I know that not all chargers are compatible with all models.
QUOTE Thanks
robertfoshizzle

It's just a regular 13" white Macbook with the 60w charger. The computer will turn back on while it is plugged in and work just fine. It also works just fine if you unplug it. It is only the instant that you plug it back in that it shuts off.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Just out of curiosity - does it shut down when you connect the mag safe adapter to the laptop - without the adapter being plugged into the wall? Or does it only shutdown when you plug it into the wall?
QUOTE Thanks
robertfoshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Just out of curiosity - does it shut down when you connect the mag safe adapter to the laptop - without the adapter being plugged into the wall? Or does it only shutdown when you plug it into the wall?
Excellent point...

I just tried it (unplugged charger from wall, then unplugged from mag safe and plugged back in) and the computer did not shut off. Tested several times and didn't have a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
robertfoshizzle

And now I just tried plugging it into the wall after doing that and, for the first time since I got the battery, it didn't shut off. What the heck?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I have a few guesses but glad it's working for you now - post back if it stops.
QUOTE Thanks
robertfoshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I have a few guesses but glad it's working for you now - post back if it stops.
It's still having the same issue. It only worked that one time, and under those specific circumstances. Very strange...
QUOTE Thanks
bthoven

bthoven is on a distinguished road

I have exactly the same issue.

I bought a used Macbook White (Feb 2008 model) with excellent condition.

I can charge my Mac without problem. The battery health is at 86% and can last for 3-4 hours. The seller said it is his second battery. I'm not sure it is a genuine battery or not. If I charge it until full, shut it down, and leave it for a day, the battery reduces to 80%.

Whenever I plug my Magsafe, my Mac shuts itself down immediately. It happens every time, no exception.

No problem when removing Magsafe from Macbook.

Try searching for cause and solution without success. Need help.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
sharkmad

sharkmad is on a distinguished road

Hey people

I have the exact same problem. 2008 MacBook, just bought a third party battery for it.
Wondering (and hoping) if you found a solution?

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
bthoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmad View Post
Hey people

I have the exact same problem. 2008 MacBook, just bought a third party battery for it.
Wondering (and hoping) if you found a solution?

cheers
So you don't have such problem before changing to a new battery?
QUOTE Thanks
sharkmad

sharkmad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
So you don't have such problem before changing to a new battery?
Nope, the problem only started with the new battery.
QUOTE Thanks
bthoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmad View Post
Nope, the problem only started with the new battery.
Thanks. So it could be the battery. Mine is also a third party battery coming with the second-hand Macbook white.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Some third party batteries have been known to cause problems. I know it's tempting to buy an inexpensive replacement battery instead of a genuine Apple battery or substitute since they're more expensive.

I'm not saying the battery you bought is at fault but we have had many users report problems with third party inexpensive batteries that I do not recommend anything but a genuine Apple or good substitute battery.

The folks at OWC sell a very high quality replacement battery that is actually better than the Apple original. ($99.00)
QUOTE Thanks
bebrown

bebrown is on a distinguished road

I know no one has commented on this in a while, but my 2008 MacBook is now having the same issue. I have the original battery in it but today it started shutting off when I plug it in and once I get it plugged in, it takes a few attempts to get the light on the charger to turn on. The only way to fix this issue is to reset the computer (taking out the battery and holding down the power button). Any ideas on a better solution or if this means the charger (or charging port) is dying!
I have had charger issues in the past and am on my 4th charger.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro buying advice | OWC Upgrades »