New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Is my MacBook dying?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DAXRULZ

DAXRULZ is on a distinguished road

My MacBook Pro works just fine, except as time goes on, the whirring noise the disk drive makes sounds "sicker" and "sicker" every time I restart it or start it up. This is the only issue I have right now, but I was wondering if this is something I should worry about.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Disk drive?
If you mean the HD, back it up right away! Your drive is giving you warning signs that it's about to crash.
If your taking about the DVD/CD drive, then it may be failing. These Laptop DVD drives seem to fail faster than other DVD drives, due to their cramped environment.

Both cases, don't ignore it. Take the Laptop to apple and let them take a look at it.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
DAXRULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
Disk drive?
If you mean the HD, back it up right away! Your drive is giving you warning signs that it's about to crash.
If your taking about the DVD/CD drive, then it may be failing. These Laptop DVD drives seem to fail faster than other DVD drives, due to their cramped environment.

Both cases, don't ignore it. Take the Laptop to apple and let them take a look at it.
I've talked to a friend about it before, and he's certain it's the CD/DVD drive that makes the sound. Still, I've played/ripped CD's before with no problem so I still don't know if this is serious or not. I guess I should take it in (though I hate the fact that Apple Stores aren't near me in any direction).

Is there anything I could be doing that contributed to this noise? I rarely turn off my MacBook; I just leave it in sleep mode unless I'm about to move it elsewhere. However I am aware that most people do this, so I don't think this is the case. I always though I took extremely good care of my MacBook, so I'm perplexed that something like this is happening.
QUOTE Thanks
tambalpanci

tambalpanci is on a distinguished road

sleep condition is good, but in right situation ..
for examples : if you want to go lunch, or pick up a phone call, you may sleep your mac, it's still okay
or maybe if you want to leave your desk for a couple of minutes, then you sleep your mac, it's okay
but if you want to move from one place to another place with your car or bike better you turn off your mac .. it's more safely for a hard drive ..
QUOTE Thanks
DAXRULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambalpanci View Post
sleep condition is good, but in right situation ..
for examples : if you want to go lunch, or pick up a phone call, you may sleep your mac, it's still okay
or maybe if you want to leave your desk for a couple of minutes, then you sleep your mac, it's okay
but if you want to move from one place to another place with your car or bike better you turn off your mac .. it's more safely for a hard drive ..
If I'm moving my Mac in such a way, I always turn it off (though I didn't do that at first, but I did start doing it before too long). So I don't think that's the problem. But otherwise, I pretty much leave it in sleep mode if I'm not using it, period. So it stays asleep overnight, etc. So is that bad...? I don't think so, but correct me if I'm wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Nope it's ok, my Mac is always in sleep mode when I'm not using it.
Apple recommends though that you shutdown your Mac if it's not going to get used for more than several months.

As for the DVD drive, you could theoretically replace it yourself it you wanted to.
If your not going to get it fixed, it will most likely just die someday. It won't hurt anything else if it does, but the best thing to do is to get it replaced.

These people make excellent repair guides, and also sell replacement parts but those you can get elsewhere.
iFixit: The free repair manual

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
DAXRULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
Nope it's ok, my Mac is always in sleep mode when I'm not using it.
Apple recommends though that you shutdown your Mac if it's not going to get used for more than several months.

As for the DVD drive, you could theoretically replace it yourself it you wanted to.
If your not going to get it fixed, it will most likely just die someday. It won't hurt anything else if it does, but the best thing to do is to get it replaced.

These people make excellent repair guides, and also sell replacement parts but those you can get elsewhere.
iFixit: The free repair manual
I'm not particularly handy, even with instructions, however I AM still under warranty, so I'll make the effort to take my MacBook to the Apple Store to have it serviced. I only hope that they would be able to take care of it within the same visit. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Player Not Recognizing certain DVD'S (macbook is driving my insane) | 13" Macbook Pro - trouble with 2nd SSD »