New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Question about 15" 2009 model MBP LCD Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

k03hl3r

k03hl3r is on a distinguished road

Video Question:

YouTube - 15" MacBook Pro LCD Panel Question

See the video for a demonstration, but my question in a nutshell is that I was wondering if the LCD panel they replaced my cracked panel with is of equivalent quality to the original panel that came in an '09 MBP. If it isn't, I will be speaking with them because their website claims to be installing panels of IDENTICAL quality to the OEM panel. The repair was done through Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad
It's been so long since I've used this laptop that I don't remember how the OEM display performed off-axis. I know that my 13" unibody MBP has absolutely amazing off-axis performance but they could have upgraded the OEM display with the introduction of the unibody design.

Also, take note of the poor job they did closing up the rear side of the display. If I can repair this myself with little difficulty, I most likely will assuming that the panel they installed is of appropriate quality.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

The folks at Powerbookmedic.com normally do good work. If you're dissatisfied with the work they performed, contact them and send the unit back for further work. As far as I'm aware, they fully warrant their work.

As to the replacement parts they use... That I don't know, however, there are several different LCD manufacturers that Apple uses in their OEM panels. Also, your 13" MBP LCD panel is LED backlighted. Is the 15" MBP likewise LED backlighted?
QUOTE Thanks
k03hl3r

k03hl3r is on a distinguished road

Yes, both panels have an LED backlight. The 15" MBP was one of the first models that used the LED backlight and I confirmed with PowerbookMedic that the replacement LCD was the LED model.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

After watching the video I agree with you that the angle of view and clarity is much better on the 13" than the 15" MBP. Do you remember if the original LCD panel on the 15" was the same way? Both panels are LED backlighted so the brightness and color should be about the same. Of course that assumes both are of the same manufacturer and quality.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« install SL on new hdd -- a novel approach needs help | 256 GB SSD vs. 500 GB 7200 rpm »