New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Dual 27" cinema displays with Aluminum macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kraynro

kraynro is on a distinguished road

ok guys so i found this mod where someone hooked up 2 24" cinema displays to his macbook pro

> MACBOOK PRO WITH DUAL 24″ APPLE CINEMA DISPLAYS!

but what i want to do is connect 2 27" displays to my macbook, I have a mini display port so there has go tot be a way, only problem is that the hardware he used only supports up to 2 24" in displays not 27" but that was in 08 so there has to be some new stuff out there, anyone know of anything like this being done? it would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

I'm running the 27 inch Cinema and a 25" Sony added to my 13" MBP. But, the 25" is being run at only 1920x1200 from a USB dock. This is a stop-gap measure until we have thunderbolt docks with support for multiple display ports, DVIs, EIDEs, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
codito14

codito14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy12 View Post
I'm running the 27 inch Cinema and a 25" Sony added to my 13" MBP. But, the 25" is being run at only 1920x1200 from a USB dock. This is a stop-gap measure until we have thunderbolt docks with support for multiple display ports, DVIs, EIDEs, etc.
This is exactly what I'm trying to do but I have a new MBP, an i-Inc 27" monitor (has 2 hdmi inputs and a vga) and want to buy a 27" Apple Cinema Display and run them at the same time. wheelguy12, could you tell me your exact setup (what USB dock)? I've been looking for a solution for awhile and haven't found one.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

Finding the right USB dock is indeed a challenge. Most don't go to 1200 lines, and those that do may not yet have reliable drivers or firmware for OSX 10.6+ 64 bit. I found 1 that does appear to do things correctly, though - this is the one I have been using and am very happy with it thus far...
Universal Docking Station with Video sd300v - K33930US - Kensington

If you get this one, be sure to download the latest Mac drivers from the chip maker - DisplayLink.

It's primary limitation is video rate. I can pump up the screen to 1920x1200, but can only watch youtube videos in a window at about 800x600. Of course, you can go full screen 800x600 and that works fine too.

By "do things correctly" I mean that it sleeps when I close the lid, and wakes when it should too without ever crashing the Mac or simply blank screening like I've seen many other users of other systems complain about. Let us know what your findings are.

2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I cannot shut down or restart my macbook. | CD Drive making bad CDs »