North American to UK power adaptor...
    Hello,

I own a MacBook and I'm planning on going to the UK soon. I was looking at the "Apple World Travel Adaptor Kit" which would work just fine I think, but I was wondering if there were anything on sale here or in the UK just like I currently own here in Canada: not a simple "plug adaptor" that you plug in the power adaptor, but a wire that extends the cord further from the power adaptor and ends with the power plug. I don't know if I'm being clear here, but I'd prefer that to the simple "plug adaptor" because it extends the length of the power cord (and offers a grounded connection?).

Also, a newbie sub-question: electrically-speaking, how come I can plug a simple ungrounded two-pronged plug (with what I call the "simple plug adaptor") or a grounded three-pronged plug (with what I would call the "extension cord adaptor plug")? Is there any difference between both connection types besides the ground?

Thank you very much!

Etienne

Specs:
    MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Any standard US/UK adaptor will work with your power cable.

Yeah, that I knew, but I would maybe prefer a more "legit" solution. Thanks!

Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
    you might just have to buy a new power adapter when you arrive. I know what you're talking about. Im in Switzerland right now and my friend has an EU macbook adapter. so I just swapped out the extension for his and now it works here. But I don't think that apple sells the extension separate from the brick

Hum perphaps they don't sell the extension alone, but only the whole power adaptor bundle... I may just get myself a standard US-UK power adaptor...

Thanks!

Specs:
    MacBook 2ghz,1 GB, 250 gig
    I had the same issue a few years back, i would go with the regular adapter solution you can get in every airport. so the "visiting the UK" version. Also another good trick : the black cables that come with every stereo fit the mac unit. similar to the powercord on a printer but with two parallel holes instead of three. Its a unified plug (surprising for Apple ,haha) But thats if youre stuck...... enjoy our rain,hehe. ;-)

Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
    ya. Thats also true. A little jerry-rigging would fix it.

Thread Information