New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

North American to UK power adaptor...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

etiennelj

etiennelj is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I own a MacBook and I'm planning on going to the UK soon. I was looking at the "Apple World Travel Adaptor Kit" which would work just fine I think, but I was wondering if there were anything on sale here or in the UK just like I currently own here in Canada: not a simple "plug adaptor" that you plug in the power adaptor, but a wire that extends the cord further from the power adaptor and ends with the power plug. I don't know if I'm being clear here, but I'd prefer that to the simple "plug adaptor" because it extends the length of the power cord (and offers a grounded connection?).

Also, a newbie sub-question: electrically-speaking, how come I can plug a simple ungrounded two-pronged plug (with what I call the "simple plug adaptor") or a grounded three-pronged plug (with what I would call the "extension cord adaptor plug")? Is there any difference between both connection types besides the ground?

Thank you very much!

Etienne
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Any standard US/UK adaptor will work with your power cable.
QUOTE Thanks
etiennelj

Yeah, that I knew, but I would maybe prefer a more "legit" solution. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
duncanbrodie1

duncanbrodie1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video

you might just have to buy a new power adapter when you arrive. I know what you're talking about. Im in Switzerland right now and my friend has an EU macbook adapter. so I just swapped out the extension for his and now it works here. But I don't think that apple sells the extension separate from the brick
QUOTE Thanks
etiennelj

Hum perphaps they don't sell the extension alone, but only the whole power adaptor bundle... I may just get myself a standard US-UK power adaptor...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
gazza77

gazza77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2ghz,1 GB, 250 gig

I had the same issue a few years back, i would go with the regular adapter solution you can get in every airport. so the "visiting the UK" version. Also another good trick : the black cables that come with every stereo fit the mac unit. similar to the powercord on a printer but with two parallel holes instead of three. Its a unified plug (surprising for Apple ,haha) But thats if youre stuck...... enjoy our rain,hehe. ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
duncanbrodie1

duncanbrodie1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video

ya. Thats also true. A little jerry-rigging would fix it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 15" Powerbook Screen | Will single 4GB RAM work? »