New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Close lid and do nothing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gary86

Gary86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2010 13" MBP; Late 2010 13" MBA

I know on Windows there is an option to "close the lid and do nothing" , meaning when I close the lid the MacBook still thinks it is awake/open? I'm looking to do this because I'm about to download LogMeIn app on my iPad 2 but in order to log in the computer has to be awake/lid open.

Is there an app that allows me to close the lid and the MacBook still thinks it is open? Right now I just disable caffeine, my display is set to go black after 2 minutes, and never sleeps and I keep the lid open. I prefer to just close the lid and make the computer think it's open.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

InsomniaX (Mac) - Download

this keeps it awake. bear in mind you may encounter heat issues, and its not advised you do it for long.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

As Rob says you may experience heat issues and is the main reason there isn't an option to do this natively. If you look at the hinge on your macbook when it is open the heat vent is back there and when you close the lid it blocks off that vent.

HTH,
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

A better choice for a utility to keep the machine from sleeping is Caffeine for the Mac. Download from here. InsomniaX can be hazardous to your Mac's health.
QUOTE Thanks
Gary86

Ok, I use caffeine now. I was trying to avoid leaving the lid open all the time.

Thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy12

wheelguy12 is on a distinguished road

On my MBP, when I'm using it as a desktop replacement, I close the top and the attached display turns off. I wait a second or two, then press any key on the external keyboard or mouse, and - poof back to life again. This is a 2011 model, but you would think they all behave this way - because it makes sense
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

FYI that's called Clamshell mode, I use it quite a lot when I have my laptop closed but plugged into my TV and have iTunes playing music with the visualiser.
Think I may purchase one of these when I have the spare cash
My only worry is again heat issues.
Henge Docks

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I looked at the Henge Dock and had the same thought, but it appears that it doesn't cover the vents and should allow for cooling. Right now I'm using a Griffin Elevator that I bought several years ago. I use it at home and when I do, the MacBook is in clamshell mode.
QUOTE Thanks
Gary86

Well I'm going to try this (clamshell mode) when I get home and hopefully it wakes up my computer using the Remote Conductor app for iPad
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
Well I'm going to try this (clamshell mode) when I get home and hopefully it wakes up my computer using the Remote Conductor app for iPad
Assuming that app is anything like the remote mouse app I use, you'll need to open the app on your Mac first. But when you close the Mac, you can't wake it with the iPad app. You still have to use a wireless (or wired) mouse or keyboard to wake the Mac back up. Then the remote app is good to go.

Again, this has been my experience with Mobile Mouse Free. Yours may differ, but I wanted to prepare you just in case.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

The Henge dock looks sweet. I might have to buy it. I use clamshell mode the majority I am on my Mac.

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflitskyle View Post
The Henge dock looks sweet. I might have to buy it. I use clamshell mode the majority I am on my Mac.

- Kyle
Well at least I had some use on this thread

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Gary86

the don't make that dock for the air
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Mercury SSD Invisible | Buyer question. »