New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Randomly my keyboard back light locks up, showing a circle with a slash.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

subllime48

subllime48 is on a distinguished road

my laptop was in sleep mode in the dark all day, i grabbed it and was using it as my friend drove me to his house but the keyboard would not light up and when i tried using the hot keys (F5 and F6) it would show a circle with a slash through it like a no smoking sign without the cigarette. I went into a very dark room and had the same exact results, i even covered the camera that senses it with no luck. i went into the system prefreneces and clicked and un clicked the illuminate keyboard in low light condtions, fixing the problem. Why did this happen? i tried to get it to happen again by un ticking the box but i couldnt figure it out because if i untick it and raise the brightness it automatically ticks the illuminate keyboard box. Any idea why this occured? i just got the unit 3 days ago is this normal to happen or should i worry about it happening again following more problems?

when i was in the car it was bright outside.
QUOTE Thanks
subllime48

i just tested it by going outside, it locked up! so i guess its normal when its brighter out to lock up, i also held it close to a lamp and it locked up, my only concern is why it didnt switch back when i was in a dark room the first time?
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

This seems to be quite common, I often find my light sensor has decided it's too bright to need the keyboard backlight, when actually I want it. I found a small app called Labtick which allows you to overide the sensor.
QUOTE Thanks
subllime48

Quote:
Originally Posted by northrnchimp View Post
This seems to be quite common, I often find my light sensor has decided it's too bright to need the keyboard backlight, when actually I want it. I found a small app called Labtick which allows you to overide the sensor.
it happened once and took about 10 or so min for it to relize i wa sin the dark, would you consider tht a major problem i just got the macbook like 3 days ago if its guna be a problem i need thrid party software for i can return it otherwise its no biggie if its an occasonial thing i dnt wana have to use a third party program to do what it should be expected to do as long as the brightness up and down buttons work im ok with it but when that locks up it ****** me off i dont want it to keep reoccuring
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« White Macbook 13" cover | New MacBook Pro sound cutting out when connected to speakers »