New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook 10.6.7 won't go to safemode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chocoholic

chocoholic is on a distinguished road

Just purchased used MB had fresh install of 10.6 ran software updates. And started checking into system, disk utility showed numerous repairs, but the issue I am confused about is: when I hold down the shift key to restart in safe mode it seems to do a normal restart, which is really fast. I do not get the screen showing it is in safemode. So, my question is, why wont it restart in safemode?
I am not that knowledgable past these steps, so simple terms would really help.

13.3" MB 2 GHz Mac OS X (10.6.7)
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Welcome to Mac-Forums
When are you holding the shift key down?
You should be pressing it just after you hear the startup chime and holding it down until safe mode starts, if you press it down when the Apple Logo shows it's too late.

Hope this helps
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chocoholic

Thank you for you input. I have tried pressing it before the chime and right after the chime. Also I have tried immediately after clicking restart. I have used the same technique on all my other Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice

You may need to do a shut-down rather than a restart. Shut it down, leave it for a few seconds then press the power button and follow my instructions above.

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chocoholic

Ok I will try that! Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
chocoholic

It still did not work.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Im thinking it could have something to do with the Update. 10.6.7 is reporting some problems.

If you have only done a recent install of the OS, i would do another install then go and download the 10.6.6 Combo Update. NOT VIA SOFTWARE UPDATE !!!! . . . . I had problems on the w/end with 10.6.7 and have gone back to 10.6.6
I cant find anything specific out there but someone has only been able to boot into safe mode after the update . . .

If others cant come up with a solution then this is what i would be doing
Im not really sure if a update *could* stuff up Safe Mode Boot up but it is something to think about if al else fails.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Just something else to think about, does the machine have an EFI passcode set on it? If so this makes sure that you cannot zap PRAM/ NVRAM or enter Single User Mode or Safe Mode.

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If it had a firmware password set, it would display an icon depicting a lock when attempting to enter Safe Boot.
QUOTE Thanks
chocoholic

How do I check for a EFI Password?
Thank you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Frozen programme... | New vs Refurb-MB Pro 13" thoughts? »