New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP mem upgrade question- Non- Stacked IC's?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mitchww

mitchww is on a distinguished road

At Macmemory.com the prices for MBP mem upgrade are higher but their website (MacBook Pro RAM | MacBook Pro Memory | Apple MacBook Pro Hard Drives | Ramjet Inc.) touts:

"Non-Stacked IC's: Ramjet uses a Non-stacked module for the 4GB DDR2-667 module for the MacBook Pro. The cheaper stacked IC variety of 4GB SO-DIMM draws more power, which increases heat and decreases battery life. Ramjet ONLY uses premium non-stacked chips."

Is there anything to this" premium non-stacked chip" business? Their prices are $30 or more higher than OWC and Crucial.

Is there a difference between what these companies are selling?

(I have a new MBP purchased recently)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Let me google that for you

Best answer from the search hits:

Quote:
One double-sided DIMM holds 16 RAM chips [18 if using ECC].
1G byte ==> 8G bits; 8G bits / 16 chips ==> 512M bits per chip.
The least expensive "commodity" density today is 256M bits per chip.
Achieving 1G byte from 256M bits/chip requires "stacking" another
card. This doubles the overall thickness, and the module won't fit
into some spaces. It also causes problems with cooling and mechanical
reliability; but sometimes it "works" for desktop PCs.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Ľ Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Sadsaque

Sadsaque is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook5,1 - A1278 - MB467LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchww View Post
At Macmemory.com the prices for MBP mem upgrade are higher but their website touts:

Quote:
Non-Stacked IC's: Ramjet uses a Non-stacked module for the 4GB DDR2-667 module for the MacBook Pro. The cheaper stacked IC variety of 4GB SO-DIMM draws more power, which increases heat and decreases battery life. Ramjet ONLY uses premium non-stacked chips.
Is there anything to this" premium non-stacked chip" business? Their prices are $30 or more higher than OWC and Crucial.
Is there a difference between what these companies are selling?
(I have a new MBP purchased recently)
Their price for an 8GB package (2 modules) is $50 over everyone else's (@~ $97 - 110)!! That's 50%, and the only apparent reason is this claim.
So I quoted the Wikipedia info that nearly nobody makes or sells chips that can be stacked anymore (modern chips are nearly all Ball Grid Array) and asked them about that -- Like, "How can I shop this spec w/ other mfr's?" This was their dodging, disingenuous response:
Quote:
Unfortunately, it is still possible to construct stacked modules, and there are stacked TSOP modules on the market right now. Ramjet does not use stacked parts in any application. This is one aspect of Ramjet always using the top quality parts available for your Mac. Thank you for your inquiry!
When I asked OWC the same thing, they responded:
Quote:
We haven't ever used stacked chips for our PC3-8500 line of memory modules. In fact, its been a long time since we've qualified any stacked memory modules.
I believe would apply equally to any DDR2 modules ~
QUOTE Thanks
Sadsaque

Sadsaque is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook5,1 - A1278 - MB467LL/A

Ramjet is currently asking $150 + $8s&h for 8GB PC3-8500 - [http://www.macmemory.com/ItemDescrip...sp?Item=MBP8G]
NewEgg has a $10 coupon thru 4/18 for G.Skill w/free s&h= $70 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16820231294]

Guess which I bought ~
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible graphics hardware problem? | Problem: No DVI to TV VGA Connect for 2.7 GHz Intel Core I7 »