New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Number of Battery Cycles?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paid4c4

paid4c4 is on a distinguished road

I just saw that my battery had seven cycles. How many cycles should I get out of a MacBook Pro 15 inch?
Bill
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Not sure how many but my mbp is 13 months old with 17 cycles. It's running at 98% capacity

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Mac battery load cycles?

Check that out. I just did a quick search of the forums

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Apple has a great site for how to maintain and use your batteries properly for all of their devices:

Apple - Batteries

In addition, you'll find a lot of great information by searching here at Mac-Forums. There are many threads out there that you'll find useful on this subject:

Mac-Forums.com - Search Forums

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
I just saw that my battery had seven cycles. How many cycles should I get out of a MacBook Pro 15 inch?
Bill
Not sure which 15" MacBook Pro you have (you didn't say)...but if it's an older MBP 15" with the user replaceable battery...you're supposed to get around 300 charge/discharge cycles...if it's a newer 15" MBP with the "non-user replaceable battery"...you're supposed to get 1000.

But...remember...your "mileage" may & will vary depending on how the battery is maintained (see link earlier in this thread).

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Yes...I'm sure there are folks that have gotten more/less than the numbers mentioned above. The numbers are mostly for reference.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
interl0per

interl0per is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Not sure which 15" MacBook Pro you have (you didn't say)...but if it's an older MBP 15" with the user replaceable battery...you're supposed to get around 300 charge/discharge cycles...if it's a newer 15" MBP with the "non-user replaceable battery"...you're supposed to get 1000.

But...remember...your "mileage" may & will vary depending on how the battery is maintained (see link earlier in this thread).

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Yes...I'm sure there are folks that have gotten more/less than the numbers mentioned above. The numbers are mostly for reference.
My new Macbook Pro finally arrived today after some issues with TNT international courier, but never the less... I had absolutely no idea these new batteries are meant to have a 1000 cycle count. That's great.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by interl0per View Post
My new Macbook Pro finally arrived today after some issues with TNT international courier, but never the less... I had absolutely no idea these new batteries are meant to have a 1000 cycle count. That's great.
Just in case anyone wanted to actually see it in writing (regarding 1000 charge/discharge cycles with the newer batteries)...here it is:

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

...it actually says up to 1000 "full capacity" charge/discharge cycles. So if you factor in the number of charge/discharge cycles you will get at less than full capacity...that would or should be well over 1000 cycles.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
interl0per

interl0per is on a distinguished road

that makes me feel better about my previous macbook pro that was stolen after about a year or so, haha!
QUOTE Thanks
Tarmac_Ninja

Tarmac_Ninja is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP 15inch I7 2.3/250 Intel SSD/8 gigs RAM

i got around 450 cycles before it said it needed to be changed. it was at about 72%

I am a singer, writer, sometimes amateur comedian, and public speaker with a criminal past and political ambitions -- I am a skeptic about just about everything, a blunt instrument, a professional heretic, an idiot savant with a memory that borders on freaky...
QUOTE Thanks
johndope83

johndope83 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Not sure how many but my mbp is 13 months old with 17 cycles. It's running at 98% capacity
WOW!!! 13 months old and oonly 17 cycles? I just got my 2011 MBP and i'm already on my 16th cycle!

2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Wife's is now 46 months old - 28 cycles - Max capacity is 103%.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
johndope83

johndope83 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

sorry to raise this but since we're in the issue regarding battery cycle... what is the optimum charging cycle do you guys do? I usually charge my battery when i hit 5% battery charge left and charge it to 100%. Once full, I take out my adapter.

I read this Apple - Batteries already but it didn't mention anything about this.

2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
TF626

TF626 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndope83 View Post
sorry to raise this but since we're in the issue regarding battery cycle... what is the optimum charging cycle do you guys do? I usually charge my battery when i hit 5% battery charge left and charge it to 100%. Once full, I take out my adapter.

I read this Apple - Batteries already but it didn't mention anything about this.
You should be alright, anytime it turns red you can charge it.
QUOTE Thanks
paid4c4

paid4c4 is on a distinguished road

My MBP is two week old and at charge 11. I like the idea of 1000 cycles before replacement. I also like to long battery life MBP has when compared to my PC's.
Wow what a difference.
Bill

2011-MBP-15 inch-200-8 gigs of ram.
QUOTE Thanks
brief

brief is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz 8gbram 2011

Hi, I'm a new MBP owner and I just keep it plugged in while I use it. Is this the proper way to maximize the battery life?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« last generation or new generation macbook pro | Upgrade Crisis »