New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Still cant get iBook to boot up...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

los7883

los7883 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2004 iBook G4, i replaced the hard drive a couple of years ago, hard drive crashed. I replaced it with a WD hard drive, about three weeks ago, little by little i started getting the dreaded blinking folder with the question mark, i backed up all my info then finally it died on me. I tried to restore/repair/reinstall but eventually it wouldnt see the hard drive. I sent it back and got a replacement one from WD, installed it and now it wont mount in the disk utility feature...so i know the hard drive is ok, i've reset the PRAM and tried everything else...is there something else i'm missing or has it finally bit the dust? Thanks in advance for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
imppy

imppy is on a distinguished road

Time for a new mac?
QUOTE Thanks
los7883

LOL...NOOOOOO...i cant even erase/format the drive because disk utility wont see it. I tried connecting it to another Mac and starting it up in Target mode, thinking at least the other Mac would see it and let me erase/format it that way but nope, it wouldnt see the hard drive. this post is my one last effort before i pull the plug and get one...[fingers crossed]
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

have you tried putting the new hard drive into an enclosure and hooking it up to a mac that does work? it sounds more like the drive is at fault from my end.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds like it may be a bad ribbon cable which plugs in on one end to the hard drive and the other end to the logic board. So before you toss your iBook it may be worth while to replace that cable and see if that solves it. Your iBook has been around for a long time and those cables get brittle from the heat over time.
QUOTE Thanks
los7883

and that is what i thought too, which is why i sent it back to WD and they replaced it under warranty. I got the other one yesterday and threw it in there...unless there's some chance that both drives are/were defective. and yea i dont have an external enclosure for the 2.5 so i havent tried that, i only have one for the 3.5 ALTHOUGH, if I cant fix it i'll probably rip this HD out and use it for an external drive for my "new" one so I'll need an enclosure anyway...good thinking! thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
los7883

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It sounds like it may be a bad ribbon cable which plugs in on one end to the hard drive and the other end to the logic board. So before you toss your iBook it may be worth while to replace that cable and see if that solves it. Your iBook has been around for a long time and those cables get brittle from the heat over time.
ahhh, good call. yea i saw it when i took it apart but didnt think to look it over, i did notice that it was really thin though, i know there werent any cuts or kinks in it but that doesnt necessarily mean it wasnt defective. Do you know where we can pick up those ribbon cables? I know i've had this laptop since day 1 so i would assume it'd be hard to find parts for it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try these two places:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad
QUOTE Thanks
los7883

Yea i know they carry the big stuff, but never checked for the smaller things, i'll check it out...thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro random shutoff? | New MacBook Pro »