New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Which "new" Mac book pro harddrive is faster solid state ,5400 , or 7200 ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

moreguns

moreguns is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2006 24" imac osx 10.7.3, 2.16 GHz 4 m SDRAM(low latency), IPHONE 4s,IPAD 3RD GEN. 64G verizon

Just wondering if anybody knows how the solid state hard drives stack-up. Please let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

SSD, 7200rpm, then 5400rpm.
SSD's are substantially faster, however, overpriced for the storage size that you get.
In most cases, for the average user, it is not worth it.
Value for money until SSDs drop drastically in price (become the standard drives), go for a 7200rpm drive.
Keep in mind that you're not going to notice much other than boot time and application launching being faster unless you are doing some intensive graphic design, photo/video editing, music recording, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreguns View Post
Just wondering if anybody knows how the solid state hard drives stack-up. Please let me know.
They are fast! See:
Charts, benchmarks SSD Charts 2010, Desktop Performance Index (50% Throughput, 25% PCMark, 25% I/O)

SSD's tend to be far less prone to failure due to jarring and impact as traditional hard drives are.

But SSD's are prone to wear-out in time, and, especially when used in a Mac, can suffer from poor handling of bad blocks. OS X 10.6 and earlier don't support TRIM:
TRIM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I keep on hearing about SSD's having abnormally high failure rates and
unusual problems:
SSDs Have High Failure Rate? - HotHardware
SSD failure rate is '10-20 per cent' | News | TechRadar UK
(There were reports that Dell had as high as a 30% return rate for
laptops with SSD's, which Dell refutes. However, Dell has refused to
disclose the actual return rate.)

I just recently learned that TRIM will be supported and implemented in OS X 10.7:
Mac OS X Lion Supports TRIM for SSD’s
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Developer Preview is Available to Download

So, if you are interested in an SSD, it might be best to wait until this summer when Apple releases OS X 10.7. By then SSD's might also be generally more reliable.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Even though OS X doesn't support TRIM, SSDs for reasons unbeknown to myself, seem to not suffer from the degradation that they do with other OS's.
Don't ask me why, as I don't know, but if you do your research on this, you may get your explanations!
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Even though OS X doesn't support TRIM, SSDs for reasons unbeknown to myself, seem to not suffer from the degradation that they do with other OS's.
Don't ask me why, as I don't know, but if you do your research on this, you may get your explanations!
That's very true, at least for the Samsung SSD that Apple provides for the Macbook Air. On the other hand, the performance provided by the Samsung SSD in the Macbook Air is terrible compared to the speed of just about any other SSD, and even many rotating disk hard drives.

The situation is much less clear for other SSD's.

This article discusses that and does testing for SSD drive performance
degradation, does some comparison with similar testing on a Windows 7
computer and SSD drives and comes to some surprising conclusions.
Benchmarking SSD performance in OSX | bit-tech.net

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

The word on these so far is pretty good

OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD Serial ATA 2.5" Solid State Drives using High Performance SandForce Processor solution
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Apparently Apple is already providing TRIM support for their SSDs that are installed in the new MBP line. See this article.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Apparently Apple is already providing TRIM support for their SSDs that are installed in the new MBP line. See this article.
According to this article, it has been added to the latest build of the 10.6.6 update available through software update from Apple.
Obviously, I can't test this having no SSD installed
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Use a Mercury Extreme SSD and it is the bees knees.

Have a read of this particularly page 7and do not worry about TRIM:-

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/app...-trim-in-osx/1

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power issues | New MBP has arrived... »