New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Pico pk301 projector with MBA

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hercbadger

hercbadger is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a pico pk301 projector off of woot.com and now that I have it, I can not get it to work with my MBA. Has anyone had any success with this projector and a macbook? The company website is pretty bad and I can't figure out if it is compatible or not. Thanks for any help you can give!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

It looks the projector has a HDMI input port and also one for VGA. First, do you have the correct cables to connect it to your MacBook Air? If you do, does the Air recognize the Pico when you hook it up?

(System Preferences, Displays, Detect Displays)
QUOTE Thanks
hercbadger

It connects to the macbook air with the usb cable and the macbook air shows it as an external device (like an external drive), but the programs that are on the device when I double-click on it are all Windows executables. I'm thinking I messed up in buying it and that it is only windows compatible, but am hoping someone has a work around. It does not show up when I hit detect displays.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

The instructions say to charge the battery first before hooking it up. But you can always use the AC adapter. Also, don't attach it via the USB cable as it will appear on the desktop as a mounted device.

You'll need a MDP to HDMI adapter to go from your Air to the projector. Once that's connected, the projector should appear just like an external monitor and you can then send video to it. It should work.
QUOTE Thanks
hercbadger

Sweet, I'll buy one of those tomorrow and give it a try! I'll let you know how it works. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
hercbadger

It worked. I bought a MDP to VGA adapter (since the HDMI cable is not included with the projector, it is extra) and it works great! Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Great, glad to hear it worked out for you. Also, later on if you should decide you want better quality video for projection, you can purchase an MDP to HDMI cable from the folks at monoprice.com. (HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!)
QUOTE Thanks
Yann

Yann is on a distinguished road

To project through PK301 miniHDMI port:

(1) For Macbook Air with miniDisplay-to-HDMI adapter, ONLY HDMI-to-miniHDMI "cable" works (NOT HDMI-to-miniHDMI "adapter", it will NOT work!!!).

(2) Same for iPhone and iPad with "Apple Digital AV Adapter"(iPhone/iPad dock connector port-to-HDMI)

(3) And Same for PS3.
Optoma pk301 review connected to ps3 at 720p and a 70" scre - YouTube
QUOTE Thanks
kentkessinger

kentkessinger is on a distinguished road

I have a pk301 and I bought the vga female to hdmi cable and it still doesnt wor with my 2008 macbook pro. Anything different you were doing?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Correct RAM For Macbook 5.1 ??? | Battery, acting weird. »