New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mbp won't run (even without battery)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

malamus

malamus is on a distinguished road

Hi, all.

I noticed a few days ago, my mbp shut down when batt life was at 30%. Battery is on the way out I thought. But now I'm getting worried as it will not power up at all. Even when connected to the power adaptor, battery in or out. The battery indicators say full power. It's a 2008 model, the last before the unibody came out (yup that was gutting!).

According to other threads it should still work with the power supply if the battery is dead. Is this correct? When I push the power button it (mechanically) sounds like it will start, then all is dead after 5 seconds.

Could it be the battery, please say it is

Cheers (I have tried the cmd/ctrl power and pram reset)
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The machine should run even without the battery, albeit more slowly. You can try another battery but make sure you buy it from somewhere that offers a refund in case it doesn't solve the problem.

You might also have a defective MagSafe charger power adapter, so you might consider trying that first. Again, purchase where you can get a refund.
QUOTE Thanks
malamus

malamus is on a distinguished road

It would make more sense if the apple store could do a diagnostics check (free). I live in the uk and have been on hold for 1hr 20 mins before I gave up. Do you know if they will do this?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Sure, if you have an Apple Store close to you, make an appointment and go in. They can test a known good adapter and should have a known good battery as well to test. They also have a diagnostic utility they can run to verify the hardware is working properly in most cases. Rule of thumb, at least when I was in the store, all diagnostics at the bar are free. Once it's checked in, then a cost might be involved.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« changing macbook Screen | Dual layered DVD's »