New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

which laptop to buy and why?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TripSta

Hi,
looking to buy a mac laptop for graphics and audio. Is there a big difference between the 14" ibook or 12" powerbook?

Does the extra 2" in screen size make a difference if the resolution is still the same?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Get the powerbook. You will get DVI, screen spanning, and a faster processor. The extra 2 inches on the 14" iBook still has the 1024 x 768 resolution so everything will be "blown up" and fuzzy.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines
The extra 2 inches on the 14" iBook still has the 1024 x 768 resolution so everything will be "blown up" and fuzzy.
Funny...my 14" iBook screen isn't blown up and fuzzy. In fact, it is pretty darn clear and sharp if you ask me. *shrug*

But I would agree that if you are looking to get into a lot of graphics and audio work, the PowerBook is the better choice. You get the faster processor and larger HD, audio in jack, screen spanning natively, better video card..etc, etc.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Funny...my 14" iBook screen isn't blown up and fuzzy. In fact, it is pretty darn clear and sharp if you ask me. *shrug*
The ones I looked at in the store looked fuzzier then the 12" ones

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

The 14" iBooks are less "clear" than the 12" iBooks. The reason is that they both have the same resolution just that the 14" enlarges it so that's why you see a difference. For the casual user it shouldn't make that big of a deal.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
The Fly

I say go with the Powerbook, definitely.
QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

Go powerbook esp b/c u r looking to graphics and audio. The powerbooks are noticeably faster. The 14 inch screen is not fuzzy @ all. Not as crisp as the 12 inch but much easier to read text!!
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

I use 14" ibook just fine and have CS2, FCP4, and many other graphics intensive programs on mine. The thing about the powerbook is that it is 12". If you won't be hooked up to a 2nd monitor a lot of the time then I would say having the 14" ibook would work out better. My choice is either 14" ibook or 15" powerbook but that's just from my experience and the programs I use. Yes 14" is just stretching the pixels but it still makes a big difference to me. Many Graphic Design schools use ibooks just fine and then if you have the access to a G5 tower, like I do, that's even better. Put spanning doctor on ibook and poof you have screen spanning. Like I said it all depends on what your day consists of. If you spend the majority of your time at home you might as well get an iMac or something. If you can stand the 12" away from home and won't be doing a lot of work on the fly like me then by all means get the powerbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSta
Hi,
looking to buy a mac laptop for graphics and audio. Is there a big difference between the 14" ibook or 12" powerbook?

Does the extra 2" in screen size make a difference if the resolution is still the same?
QUOTE Thanks
validpretense

validpretense is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's

1024x768 on any screen bigger than 12" just looks odd, IMO. From a graphic designer's standpoint, anyway. The iBook / Powerbook processor speed difference isn't as big as it was in the past, like with the iBook G3 - But it still makes a difference. If I had the money I'd definately get a Powerbook. (but I don't) ):
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iBook G4 video? | PB G4 vs DT G5 for audio? »