New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

mini display port to mini dvi adapter

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pothypine

pothypine is on a distinguished road

Do they exist? I had an older (2007) MACbook go away. I have DVI for projector and for RCA cables to TV. Would like to just get a simple adapter so I could use my new MACbook Pro with the MACbook cables of days past. Are they out there?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

As far as I am aware, there is no such adapter.

Doubling up adapters is almost always a bad idea to begin with.

If you have a DVI cable - might as well get a mdp to DVI adapter and use your DVI cable.
vs.
getting a mdp to mini-DVI (if there was one) then the mini-DVI to DVI adapter and the DVI cable.

You're not going to get to a composite (RCA) video output with any sort of adapter from the mdp on any of the new Macs. It will require a converter to convert the signal from digital to analog.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

what's a mdp?
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Mini display port.

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

(Some repeat info)

Had an old (2007) Macbook. Defunct. I still have two very functioning cables-one connected machine to a projector (is that DVI? or is the port on the machine called DVI?) and one that connects to the TV. I seek a simple adapter that goes into my new MBP mini display port to an end that can connect to the port to which these cables connected in the old macbook. What is that port called? And does this exist?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is no way that we could have a clue which specific port you have been using on the projector and TV or what adapter(s) / cable(s) you have been using. You will need to supply that info.

Among the connections you could be using are:
Composite
Component
VGA
DVI
HDMI

And you could be using one of several adapters that connected to the mini-DVI port on the '07 model Macbooks.

If you have no clue what the ports on your devices or the adapters and cables are called, you can check this thread - link- head to post #4 where I have pics of the most commonly used ports.

You may also want to have a read of post #1.

As you'll see from that thread, there are so many audio/video ports in use today, that I am unable to make recommendations until I'm fairly confident that what I'm suggesting you purchase will work for you.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothypine View Post
(Some repeat info)

Had an old (2007) Macbook. Defunct. I still have two very functioning cables-one connected machine to a projector (is that DVI? or is the port on the machine called DVI?) and one that connects to the TV. I seek a simple adapter that goes into my new MBP mini display port to an end that can connect to the port to which these cables connected in the old macbook. What is that port called? And does this exist?
As you asked and was answered in the first 2 posts - your old MB is indeed a mini-DVI port and no, there is no such adapter as a mdp to mini-DVI adapter.

Take the old adapter off and what cables are you using? See the above post to figure that out.

QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

Thanks for the time and patience. I appreciate the pictures. It is indeed, as I was told, a mini-DVI port. I can't believe there is not simple adapter. It's only 3 years old...doesn't anyone else want to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

No, because it's less trouble and less expensive to buy new cables and adapters. On line resellers like Monoprice.com have a wide variety of cables at discounted prices.
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

Ok, checked out the TV. It's a Sony-Bravia KDL-26S3000 flat screen. I see it has 2 HDMI ports on the back. If I got me a mdp on my macbook pro, is that all I need? HDMI to HDMI, no need for Audio?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to additionally need an audio cable since your model MBP does not have the capability to output both video and audio thru the MDP. Go to the link I provided you above and you can buy the cables direct from them.
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

Right. I already have audio cables (RCA?)--the red and white ones that plug into an adapter that goes into my headphone/mic jack on the MBP. THen the other ends go to the TV. Could this still work?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yes, that should work. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

shall do...
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

it took a while to get to this, but I should have known it wasn't going to work because the audio cable is also mini DVI...same issue....so it goes. The other thing is that I got the Mini Display port to HDMI, but the screen goes blue and fuzzy frequently enough and for long enough that it's not pleasant or worth watching on the big screen. Is this a defect of the cable? or am I not doing something properly? mdp to hdmi #1.
thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How To Lock Folders For Privacy ??? | Macbook4, 1 Internal Speakers don't work after Ubuntu 11.04 Install »