New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
bobenhaus

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 9
bobenhaus is on a distinguished road

bobenhaus is offline
Hello all. I'm a proud owner of a New MacBook Pro 13inch that I bought today. I got a good deal so I couldnt pass it up. I'm new to the Mac world and will be coming here to assistance and I will return the favor as well once I get more familar with my MacBook Pro. I have a problem or dont know what I'm doing right. I'm trying to connect my 24inch Monitor that is HDMI to the new Mini display port on my Macbook Pro called "Thunderbolt" aka Light Peak but I just get a blue flash on my MacBook screen and my monitor will bo black. I have no problmes with My PC with the monitor but that is HDMI to DVI . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to use my monitor with my MacBook Pro. Oh I forgot to tell you that I purchased the HDMI to mini Display adapter from the Apple store. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
bobenhaus

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 9
bobenhaus is on a distinguished road

bobenhaus is offline
any suggestions? Help would be appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
DJ_GOSE

 
Member Since: Mar 01, 2011
Posts: 16
DJ_GOSE is on a distinguished road

DJ_GOSE is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobenhaus View Post
any suggestions? Help would be appreciated!
I had the same problem when i just bought my mac 6 months ago, I think its called drag an drop. So when you plug in mini display port to monitor is you mac screen still on? if so whatever window you want displayed on the monitor, what you do is you drag the window all the way to the right an the window should get displayed on the monitor. Hope this helps if you have anymore ? lmk an ill help you the best I can.
QUOTE Thanks
bobenhaus

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 9
bobenhaus is on a distinguished road

bobenhaus is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_GOSE View Post
I had the same problem when i just bought my mac 6 months ago, I think its called drag an drop. So when you plug in mini display port to monitor is you mac screen still on? if so whatever window you want displayed on the monitor, what you do is you drag the window all the way to the right an the window should get displayed on the monitor. Hope this helps if you have anymore ? lmk an ill help you the best I can.
I've tried what you suggested and had no success. My MacBook Pro can detect the monitor via HDMI to mindisplay port (Thunderbolt) because I can see two screen under preferences. "Color LCD" and "H243H" my monitor and all the different resolutions and mirror options etc.. I even moved the display boxes to the left, right,up and down and still no luck. Help!! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 25,126
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
Try some different resolutions for the external monitor.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobenhaus

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 9
bobenhaus is on a distinguished road

bobenhaus is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Try some different resolutions for the external monitor.

I've noticed not all my resolutions for my 24inch monitor is not showing up. I wonder if it could be the HDMI to mini displayport that is causing the problem? I use HDMI to DVI with my pc on the same monitor and have no problems at all. What doyou guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
iaingblack

 
Member Since: Mar 01, 2011
Posts: 3
iaingblack is on a distinguished road

iaingblack is offline
I'm having the same issue. New Macbook Pro 13". I have a mini-displayport to DVI port. I plug in my monitor to it and it does show as an option in the list (brand name and resolutions it can show seem to be detected correctly) but the monitor itself stays asleep. I cannot seem it wake it. I rebooted the laptop with it connected but still no joy. It can see but not drive it for some reason...

I am using a Neet (it think) cable I got from amazon, but it should be the same as the apple one. I am also using an adaptor to turn my monitor VGA output into a DVI one. I do this on my PC and old Mac Mini without issue. The Macbook doenst seem to want to play though
QUOTE Thanks
bobenhaus

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 9
bobenhaus is on a distinguished road

bobenhaus is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaingblack View Post
I'm having the same issue. New Macbook Pro 13". I have a mini-displayport to DVI port. I plug in my monitor to it and it does show as an option in the list (brand name and resolutions it can show seem to be detected correctly) but the monitor itself stays asleep. I cannot seem it wake it. I rebooted the laptop with it connected but still no joy. It can see but not drive it for some reason...

I am using a Neet (it think) cable I got from amazon, but it should be the same as the apple one. I am also using an adaptor to turn my monitor VGA output into a DVI one. I do this on my PC and old Mac Mini without issue. The Macbook doenst seem to want to play though
Yeah same issue for me. I was thinking about buying a DVI to min displayport and see if that will fix the issue. Please advise.
QUOTE Thanks
iaingblack

 
Member Since: Mar 01, 2011
Posts: 3
iaingblack is on a distinguished road

iaingblack is offline
I've no idea if an apple one will fix it to be honest. Interestingly, when plugged in the screen seems available, i can move the mouse and a windows i'm dragging off screen as expected. But, the monitor is dead. I think it is the adaptor, bit reluctant to spend 25 to find out on top of the 12 i've alredy spent!

EDIT - It might be that because both my monitors i've tested are VGA style connection instead of DVI native. Is yours the same? I may take my macbook to work tomorrow to test.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 25,126
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
iaingblack:

If the connection on your monitors are VGA, you cannot use a mini displayport (mdp) to DVI adapter. That adapter puts out a digital only signal, while VGA is analog. Those small little DVI/VGA adapters we all used when DVI first came out will not solve this issue.

You need the mdp to VGA adapter to get an analog output from your Mac and a standard VGA cable.


bobenhaus:

try turning stuff on in different orders.
Mac, then TV.
TV, then Mac.

If you have a DVI port, I would go that route instead of HDMI.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
soulnchain

 
Member Since: May 17, 2010
Location: Vicenza, Italy
Posts: 16
soulnchain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 320 GB Intel dual core - 4GB ram

soulnchain is offline
i have the same issue on my SOy Bravia TV every time I connct it with a HDMI cable, all I do is ope system preferences, go to Displays and click on DETECT DISPLAYS on the bottom right, that instantly "wakes up" the TV and it works every time. I started having this issue a couple months ago, and it happens on my wife's 13" white Macbook. Might be some OSX update that caused it...
QUOTE Thanks
bobenhaus

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 9
bobenhaus is on a distinguished road

bobenhaus is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaingblack View Post
I've no idea if an apple one will fix it to be honest. Interestingly, when plugged in the screen seems available, i can move the mouse and a windows i'm dragging off screen as expected. But, the monitor is dead. I think it is the adaptor, bit reluctant to spend 25 to find out on top of the 12 i've alredy spent!

EDIT - It might be that because both my monitors i've tested are VGA style connection instead of DVI native. Is yours the same? I may take my macbook to work tomorrow to test.
My monitor has all 3 connections hdmi,vga and DVI right now. I'm using hdmi to dvi for my pc and trying to use the same for my new Macobook pro . Please advise. Thanks alot guys for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
bobenhaus

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 9
bobenhaus is on a distinguished road

bobenhaus is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
iaingblack:

If the connection on your monitors are VGA, you cannot use a mini displayport (mdp) to DVI adapter. That adapter puts out a digital only signal, while VGA is analog. Those small little DVI/VGA adapters we all used when DVI first came out will not solve this issue.

You need the mdp to VGA adapter to get an analog output from your Mac and a standard VGA cable.


bobenhaus:

try turning stuff on in different orders.
Mac, then TV.
TV, then Mac.

If you have a DVI port, I would go that route instead of HDMI.
I'm using hdmi to dvi for my pc but on the mac it is hdmi to mini display port. So I dont know what the issue for this to happen. The monitor is being detected and I can see the resoutions but the screen is black. THanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 40,924
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
I would avoid using the HDMI input as you've been advised. (You're not going to get high definition anyway.) Go back to your local Apple store and exchange that MDP -> HDMI adapter for one that is
MDP -> DVI. Of course you'll need a DVI cable also (may have been included with your external monitor).

Forget about what you're using for the PC. I've been thru the same thing and what bobtomay suggested to you works best.
QUOTE Thanks
Magreet

 
Member Since: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 1
Magreet is on a distinguished road

Magreet is offline
I updated to the new Macbook and get get a signal to my screen.
mdp - hdmi -> hdmi - dvi -> tft
this worked fine with the old Macbook but now the screen keeps looking for a signal, the mac found it though.
Maybe the Thunderbolt pins are not compatible after all...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Time Machine and Restoring To New Hard Drive | MacBook Pro all of a sudden printing blank pages »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MacBook or MacBook Pro: Newbie needs help ? fld777 Apple Notebooks 11 12-15-2013 03:37 PM
MacBook Pro has 'lost' Mac Pro [wireless network] waltonic Internet, Networking, and Wireless 0 09-22-2009 02:17 PM
MacBook Pro RAM Graegaud Apple Notebooks 5 04-23-2009 01:41 PM
Apple MacBook And MacBook Pro to get redesigned.. spookymulder Apple Rumors and Reports 226 06-17-2008 02:25 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?