Help make my decision easier!
    I'm currently a college student, studying business, and in the market for a new laptop. I use about a year and half old HP HDX16 at the moment, and while for its age it still performs decently, I'm more ready to switch from PC to Mac. Right now I'm trying to ultimately decide between the 13" and the 15".

I mainly use my laptop for:
    Internet browsing
    Word processing
    Spreadsheets
    Music / Video streaming
    Light gaming...(nothing too graphics intensive, but still nice to have a little GPU power)

Power and portability are obviously at the top of anyones list, including myself. All input is welcomed. Thank you

MacBook Pro 13" Specs:

2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB (Upgrading to 8GB via OWC)
    128GB Solid State Drive or 500GB Seagate Momentus XT
    Intel HD 3000 Graphics

Samsung PX2370 23" Led Monitor + Apple Keyboard = $180

Price: $1,1918 (tax included + 8GB RAM + OWC Rebate) , $1,858 w/ Seagate Momentus XT configuration.

MacBook Pro 15" Specs:

2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

Price: 1,986 (tax included + Seagate Momentus XT + OWC Rebate)

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    I think you have answered your own question in stating that you game. It has to be the 15".

Personally for me, i would take the 13" with SSD and 8GB. But if you game just for the screen real-estate alone, would have to be the 15".

But yea i would have the 13" anyday. But thats me looking at portability as well. Your specs to pack a punch though and that made my decision easy. My 13" MBP is just perfect for me.

Cheers

EDIT : re-read it and with the screen with the 13" mate i would definitely get that. You will be on a winner there. Would be a nice set up
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I really wouldn't recommend that hybrid drive. If you want one, I have one I bought toward the end of Dec that I'll sell for 30% under Amazon or newegg price.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    I think you have answered your own question in stating that you game. It has to be the 15".

Personally for me, i would take the 13" with SSD and 8GB. But if you game just for the screen real-estate alone, would have to be the 15".

But yea i would have the 13" anyday. But thats me looking at portability as well. Your specs to pack a punch though and that made my decision easy. My 13" MBP is just perfect for me.

Cheers

EDIT : re-read it and with the screen with the 13" mate i would definitely get that. You will be on a winner there. Would be a nice set up
    Thanks for the advice Mac! I'm really leaning towards the 13" setup right now. I know you mentioned gaming in the 15", but really, I'm not a die hard Starcraft 2 or WoW player. I like basic games like the classic Age of Empires and what not. I do like the improved resolution on the 15" + bigger screen size but like you mentioned, using the 23" monitor kind of negates that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I really wouldn't recommend that hybrid drive. If you want one, I have one I bought toward the end of Dec that I'll sell for 30% under Amazon or newegg price.
    Right now I'm waiting on buying one, if I do decide to buy one, until Seagate fixes their widespread issues with the Momentus XT I've been hearing about a lot lately.

But I will definitely keep that in mind Bobtomay

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Do not buy a hybrid. Lash out on a Mercury Extreme SSD and you will not be disappointed.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information