New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

15" 2011 Pro w/ 128GB SSD + 64 SD??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tbch2325

tbch2325 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

Im off to buy a new MacBook Pro today (my first ever yay), and am torn between getting the 500GB 7200 rpm or 128SSD option. 128GB isnt really enough, so I was thinking if I got a 32GB/64GB SD card I could store photos/music/video on there and use it as a second hard drive when I run out of space? I really have no idea on how speedy SD cards are and whether this would work but its just a thought. Can you point iPhoto to look at SD card?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbch2325 View Post
Hi guys,

Im off to buy a new MacBook Pro today (my first ever yay), and am torn between getting the 500GB 7200 rpm or 128SSD option. 128GB isnt really enough, so I was thinking if I got a 32GB/64GB SD card I could store photos/music/video on there and use it as a second hard drive when I run out of space? I really have no idea on how speedy SD cards are and whether this would work but its just a thought. Can you point iPhoto to look at SD card?

Thanks!
You would be better off IMO getting an ext HD. They are small and relatively cheap. SD cards are great but I wouldn't want to trust my data files to them and based on the import times from SD card when using my camera I suspect the transfer rates will be too slow for practical use.
You're paying a premium for an SSD internal why do you want to go cheap on external storage?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Could you supplement your onboard storage with an SD card you permanently keep in the SD slot and keep your iTunes folder or other folders in it? Kind of like an external HD, but completely mobile. So if I have the 128 GB, but it's not enough room. I could keep my iTunes fold on the SD card and just drop an alias into my home folder. (Obviously I would back it up in case the card gets corrupted)

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
jmanjohns

jmanjohns is on a distinguished road

SD cards are rated for a certain number of read/write cycles and those ratings are usually far inferior to storage media sold for long-term storage. A 2.5 inch portable hard drive will cheap, plenty big for files, and small enough to carry around. The SSD will be lightning fast. Just buy it and pick up the external HD from newegg.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP graphics cards | Upgrading my Ibook Dual Usb »