New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro 13" or 15"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

_student_

_student_ is on a distinguished road

I am going to college in the fall and am looking to buy a new laptop that will be powerful enough to handle projects, microsoft office, and games. I want a laptop that will be powerful enough for large array of tasks but also one that's portable.

Right now i am stuck between the Macbook Pro 13" versus the 15". I definitely know I will not be buying the 17" due to the portability.

Also if anyone already owns a MBP 15" have you had portability issues if so please explain.

Thankyou!

P.S. these are the 2011 models I am looking at.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

The 15" is a powerhouse of a computer, and if you want to play games, you'll most likely want the dedicated graphics chipset that comes with it. Portability is ok, but not great. I'd recommend rating the features you want in order, most important to least important. Then fill in the blanks with which computer is going to meet that need better for you. If portability is higher on your list than playing games, then maybe the 13" is better for you. If it's performance and games you want above the slight inconvenience of carrying around a larger computer, then go with the 15".

If it comes down to a draw between them, consider the less expensive option, and apply the difference to upgrades - go to 8GB ram, increase the HD, apply toward an AppleCare agreement, a suitable backup drive.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I have the 2007 model of the 15in MBP. If I cared about portability (I use mine 95% of the time in my recliner) I would definitely go for the 13 in MBP; it ought to be up to anything you are likely to throw at it.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
_student_

Hmm both great opinions on the matter, I will be hauling it around a lot but I'm not sure whether i rank performance over portability or vice versa. But thank you for your opinions I guess I'll just have to figure out which I want more in the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Evenstranger is absolutely right about the 15" MBP being more powerful than the 13 inch model. But, unless you plan on graphic intensive gaming any Mac in the current line up will be more than powerful enough to handle what you have mentioned.
Honestly, you might even want to consider an 11in MacBook Air. It won't add much weight to a backpack load of books, and would be extremely handy for in class note taking.
But, ultimately you are the only one who can figure out what is best for you. The best advice I can offer is to go to an Apple store and spend a couple of hours playing with the different models.

Good luck in college and enjoy your new Mac, which ever you end up choosing.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
_student_

Alright thank you very much. I'm honestly considering the 15" so far it looks like a great machine and the dedicated graphics card looks very impressive.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by _student_ View Post
Alright thank you very much. I'm honestly considering the 15" so far it looks like a great machine and the dedicated graphics card looks very impressive.
Outstanding machine. I'm sure you will be delighted with it. I'm sorely tempted to trade my four year old model in on one.

QUOTE Thanks
_student_

I completely agree you should, I'm going to get mine this summer due to the student bundles that usually happen then and also the discount they give for college students. haha I'm so excited!
QUOTE Thanks
gtirr

gtirr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram

I just picked a new 15" Pro this morning after being allowed to exchange my 13" Pro that I had bought just 2 weeks ago today. Since Apple just released new models I was going to just exchange my old 13" for new one. But with the $300 price drop on the old 15" Pro's I just couldn't resist getting a 15". My eyes are not what they were 20 yrs. ago and portability is at the bottom of my priority list. It won't be going off the desk all that much and when it does it will be protected by 2 cases.
I wanted a 15" to begin with since I sold 2 other 15" laptops, but could not afford the extra bucks. But with the price drop I thought I'd go for it.
I'm typing on it right now and so far I love this computer!!! What's not to like?
Russ
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I guess it depends on your definition of portable - but I personally think the 15" is the perfect balance between performance and portability. It's a personal preference decision though. Head to an Apple store or a Best Buy and pick them both up and see how they feel.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New MBP ??'s | Just got off the phone with applecare... question. »