New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

13" Macbook Pro 2009 vs 2011 - your thoughts?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrKay

MrKay is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen

Hi all,

i have been waiting to upgrade my mid 2009 13" macbook pro 2.26ghz 4gb ram 64gb ssd drive do you guys think its worth the upgrade to the base 13" model or would you recommend me to wait for the 2012 model its just that i don't like the gpu they have now and my apple care runs out in september 2012 so i have some time left thanks
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Does your machine do what you want now? If so, then stick with it

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

New MBP has just been released today with new Processors, Graphics and the new Thunderbolt technology. I really want one lol, but as Schweb says, my MBP does everything I want and need it to do, so I cannot really justify a new one.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I like the new MacBooks, especially the fact they have Quad Cores, but then I look at what I'm typing on right now... no need, it's already more computer than I require.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Mac Specs: Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen

@schweb

It's just that i wanted to give my brother my macbook pro cause he has one of the old dell laptop and its so slow to boot up or do anything on it and wanted him to taste the mac experience and then get my self the new macbook pro but i can wait 8 months if the new refresh model comes out by then or do you think the new model will come out when lion os x is out don't mind waiting 10 months max thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice

See my above post... new model already released!

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Apple - MacBook Pro - The new MacBook Pro. Huge leaps in performance.

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Rather buying my brother a windows laptop was thinking i could give the one i have now to him and get my self the new one but that can wait if a new one comes out within 10 months time that is
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKay View Post
@schweb

It's just that i wanted to give my brother my macbook pro cause he has one of the old dell laptop and its so slow to boot up or do anything on it and wanted him to taste the mac experience and then get my self the new macbook pro but i can wait 8 months if the new refresh model comes out by then or do you think the new model will come out when lion os x is out don't mind waiting 10 months max thanks
Nobody knows when the next refresh will be or what it will be or heck, even if there will be any more MacBook Pros at this point.

If you want to buy a new machine, buy one. If you are happy with your computer, keep it.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
...but i can wait 8 months if the new refresh model comes out by then or do you think the new model will come out when lion os x is out don't mind waiting 10 months max thanks
Jeez...we just had a MBP update today...and someone is already asking about the timing of the next one (gun barrel to head)!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
See my above post... new model already released!

- Simon

i know the new one just came out i was talking about if after 8 months time from now a new one comes out thanks tho
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
i know the new one just came out i was talking about if after 8 months time from now a new one comes out thanks tho
Dude, you seriously must not be reading anything I've posted in this thread.

QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

I have been waiting for the right moment to replace my PowerBook G4 17-in. (yes, I am living in a bygone era!) with the 13-in. MacBook Pro. However, today's Inbox tells me that there is a new MacBook Pro (I assume that the new one is the one that we are talking about here), so I am subscribing to this thread and I hope that the local experts will point out the differences between yesterday's 13-in. MacBook Pro and today's 13-in. MacBook Pro.

Also, is the usual new product rule in play here (wait until they work out the bugs with retail consumers, never buy the first year of a product) or is the new one really just a freshening up of old technology?

BTW, I'm a computer and tech dummy, so anything you tell me will be of help!

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Jeez...we just had a MBP update today...and someone is already asking about the timing of the next one (gun barrel to head)!!!

- Nick
i was thinking of getting this one but after peoples reply am thinking should i wait or do you think i should go for one of these thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
i was thinking of getting this one but after peoples reply am thinking should i wait or do you think i should go for one of these thanks
It's hard to say...what is your eventual buying decision going to be based on:

- you NEED a new computer RIGHT NOW?
- you just want cool new features...but don't need the power of the new MBP's?

There's always something "new" around the corner which you can always use as a reason to delay a purchase. But if you keep doing that...you will never purchase anything.

- Nick

p.s. I'm still using a 17" MBP from 2007 with 2 gig of ram...and I'm perfectly happy with it. But your needs may be different.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New MacBook Pro's Released | Remotely accessing IMac from Macbook »