Thread: i5 or i7

i5 or i7
    So I'm buying one (the new pro of course) and I want the latest and greatest. So I want an i7. Can you please justify this for me. I tried to think on my own and it didn't work. Everything I found online was at least a half a year old.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrevard View Post
    So I'm buying one (the new pro of course) and I want the latest and greatest. So I want an i7. Can you please justify this for me. I tried to think on my own and it didn't work. Everything I found online was at least a half a year old.

Thanks!!
    i5 and i7 processors are both more than enough for general use. Which one you get really depends what're you going to use the machine for.

Cool, I was hoping you'd say that. This computer will be for general use and certainly not any processes that require high-end hardware. I just want the latest and greatest, but not if it is ridiculous and overkill to the max. So would it be ridiculous?

Another upgrade I am considering (already selected in my shopping cart) is the 8GB of RAM. Surely that is worth it, right?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    No, probably not. Doesn't sound like you need that and the majority of it would sit there unused. I"d suggest you spend that money on software instead.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Gosh, I guess you're right. I mean my macbook (13 inch; 2.4; 4GB; Aluminum) runs at perfect speed. PCs are kinda slow though. Would the i7 and 8GB of RAM speed them up (compared to i5 and 4GB RAM in the same PC)?

Thread Information