New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

i5 or i7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrevard

jrevard is on a distinguished road

So I'm buying one (the new pro of course) and I want the latest and greatest. So I want an i7. Can you please justify this for me. I tried to think on my own and it didn't work. Everything I found online was at least a half a year old.

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
imppy

imppy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrevard View Post
So I'm buying one (the new pro of course) and I want the latest and greatest. So I want an i7. Can you please justify this for me. I tried to think on my own and it didn't work. Everything I found online was at least a half a year old.

Thanks!!
i5 and i7 processors are both more than enough for general use. Which one you get really depends what're you going to use the machine for.
QUOTE Thanks
jrevard

Cool, I was hoping you'd say that. This computer will be for general use and certainly not any processes that require high-end hardware. I just want the latest and greatest, but not if it is ridiculous and overkill to the max. So would it be ridiculous?

Another upgrade I am considering (already selected in my shopping cart) is the 8GB of RAM. Surely that is worth it, right?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, probably not. Doesn't sound like you need that and the majority of it would sit there unused. I"d suggest you spend that money on software instead.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jrevard

Gosh, I guess you're right. I mean my macbook (13 inch; 2.4; 4GB; Aluminum) runs at perfect speed. PCs are kinda slow though. Would the i7 and 8GB of RAM speed them up (compared to i5 and 4GB RAM in the same PC)?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« momentus xt vs. full solid state? | MBP 15 does not show battery status when unplugged »