Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    therichad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 09, 2009
    Location
    Seymour
    Posts
    155
    Specs:
    2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHZ Intel Quad-Core i7 iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 3 16GB
    I want to upgrade the RAM on my 2010 Macbook Air
    Hey guys I know it is not possible to upgrade the RAM on my MBA (2010) without going to the Apple Store (unless anyone knows otherwise). But would anyone know how much it would cost me to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB on my 11' MBA?
    Once you go Mac you never go back (to PC)
    Android sucks!!

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    36,524
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by therichad View Post
    Hey guys I know it is not possible to upgrade the RAM on my MBA (2010) without going to the Apple Store (unless anyone knows otherwise). But would anyone know how much it would cost me to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB on my 11' MBA?
    To the best of my knowledge...the ram on the newest MacBook Air's is not upgradeable. That includes going to the Apple Store. From what I understand the ram is soldered onto the logic board...so you got what you got.

    I would assume that the ONLY way to upgrade the ram would be to install a whole new logic board with the higher amount of ram...and this realistically would be a very poor financial investment.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,950
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge...the ram on the newest MacBook Air's is not upgradeable. That includes going to the Apple Store. From what I understand the ram is soldered onto the logic board...so you got what you got.

    I would assume that the ONLY way to upgrade the ram would be to install a whole new logic board with the higher amount of ram...and this realistically would be a very poor financial investment.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    Nick,
    I am glad I read this thread.
    I plan to give my wife a MBA for Christmas this year--will definitely go for the 4MB version when I do.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    36,524
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    Nick,
    I am glad I read this thread.
    I plan to give my wife a MBA for Christmas this year--will definitely go for the 4MB version when I do.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    You're welcome!

    Yeah...the newest MacBook Airs have their positives (very thin & very light)...but that comes at a price...and I believe one of those "prices" is expandability.

    As we very well know...there isn't a whole lot you can upgrade on Apple laptops/notebooks (just hard drive & ram)...and with the newest MacBook Air's with SSD drives (and super thin design)...ram & storage upgrades after purchase are not possible.

    One other VERY important thing to know (if someone intends on getting one of the newest MacBook Air's and intends on keeping it a long time)...is the battery (or the battery array) in the newest MacBook Air is also NOT designed to be replaced. I don't know 100% if this means:

    - not replaceable by the end user
    - only replaceable by an Apple professional
    - or totally not replaceable at all (so when the battery goes bad...you're hosed)!

    Here's a quote from an Engadget review:

    "The batteries, hard drive, and RAM are all kept under lock and key -- nothing here is removable or user upgradable (at least not easily). In fact, the RAM is hardwired to the logic board and the flash storage is located on a custom Mini PCI Express board, meaning that tweaking the internals is not really on the table for most users."

    Here's the full review:

    MacBook Air review (late 2010) -- Engadget

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,950
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    One other VERY important thing to know (if someone intends on getting one of the newest MacBook Air's and intends on keeping it a long time)...is the battery (or the battery array) in the newest MacBook Air is also NOT designed to be replaced. I don't know 100% if this means:

    - not replaceable by the end user
    - only replaceable by an Apple professional
    - or totally not replaceable at all (so when the battery goes bad...you're hosed)!
    I admit that would make me have definite second thoughts on buying the MBA. So, I went to ifixit and looked at their tear down of the 11in MBA. If the 13in is the same it looks like upgrading the SSD and/or replacing the battery may not be that hard (providing you get the funky 5-lobed screwdriver bit).


    MacBook Air 11" Model A1370 Teardown - iFixit
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    36,524
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    I admit that would make me have definite second thoughts on buying the MBA. So, I went to ifixit and looked at their tear down of the 11in MBA. If the 13in is the same it looks like upgrading the SSD and/or replacing the battery may not be that hard (providing you get the funky 5-lobed screwdriver bit).
    Thanks for the link...I've been a little lazy & hadn't checked it out yet.

    You see what I mean by a "battery array"...those 6 "rectangles of power". Yes...if the parts become available (and affordable)...the battery array & SSD may be upgradeable/replaceable. But the ram definitely sounds like you got the get everything up front at the time of purchase.

    Amazing how small the logic board is!!!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    50,255
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Guys....

    The new MacBook Air machines are storage upgradeable. OWC now has a new kit to do the job. The flash storage drive in the Air is a plug in module which can be removed and replaced with a larger module.

    Let's see if I can find the link. Here it is: LINK A bit pricey though.

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    36,524
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post

    The new MacBook Air machines are storage upgradeable. OWC now has a new kit to do the job. The flash storage drive in the Air is a plug in module which can be removed and replaced with a larger module.
    Thanks "chscag"...for confirming the MBA SSD upgrade & availability (although expensive). Yeah...I saw that the SSD in the ifixit link "Razormac" posted seemed upgradable.

    This is my "learn something new everyday" thing for today!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,950
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Ouccchh!!

    $1200 for 360GB!
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  10. #10

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    I hadn't really noticed until now how far behind the MBA is going to be compared with the MBPs after today's refresh. Not only the measly RAM (and 2GBs is not great now at all) but the C2D running at 1.6ghz or so.

    It's not a bad machine at all, but the gap in performance between it and an entry level i5/i7 (2 cores, 4 threads) with 4GBs of RAM is huge. I don't think the Mac range has ever had such a large gap between entry level machines and mid-range machines.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Would like to upgrade ram on mid-2010 Macbook
    By vincentmilone in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 09:46 PM
  2. Macbook (Mid 2010) RAM Upgrade
    By Yatesy in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
  3. Macbook Pro -Mid 2010- RAM Upgrade
    By El3et in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 12:35 AM
  4. macbook air added RAM or upgrade processor
    By ssaunders2 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •