New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro Won't Wake Up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dylanstark

Dylanstark is on a distinguished road

My Macbook Pro was closed and asleep the other day and when I opened it and went to wake it up, the hard drive and disk drive spun up but the screen and keys were completely unresponsive. I shut it down and now every time I go to boot, no matter what type of boot I try, the same thing happens, no screen and keys.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM, resetting SMC, booting up in pretty much every mode (safe mode, single user, as a target firewire disk, from install discs) and took the whole thing apart and cleaned it and made sure everything was connected properly. I have a macbook pro from summer of 08, I think it's OS 10.5.5 but could be wrong.

Would seriously love some help, all of my hopes and dreams are in this computer
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Have you performed the Apple Hardware Test? Dig out your Leopard DVD set and perform a hardware test with it. See this LINK. Post any errors back here. You could also try removing the hard drive from the machine and see if it will boot from the Leopard DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
Dylanstark

Yeah I tried that already, still just a black screen. Also the light on the front of the macbook stays consistently lit.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, then how about removing the hard drive to see if it will boot from the Leopard DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanstark View Post
My Macbook Pro was closed and asleep the other day and when I opened it and went to wake it up, the hard drive and disk drive spun up but the screen and keys were completely unresponsive. I shut it down and now every time I go to boot, no matter what type of boot I try, the same thing happens, no screen and keys.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM, resetting SMC, booting up in pretty much every mode (safe mode, single user, as a target firewire disk, from install discs) and took the whole thing apart and cleaned it and made sure everything was connected properly. I have a macbook pro from summer of 08, I think it's OS 10.5.5 but could be wrong.

Would seriously love some help, all of my hopes and dreams are in this computer
Do you have AppleCare?

Hope it isn't so, but my MBP had exactly the same symptoms. It ended up being the graphics card necessitating a Logic board replacement.
Thankfully it was covered by AppleCare.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Mine has done this before. I learned after it was because I had it connected to my tv and before I could open my MacBook to see the screen I had to shut it down disconnect it from my tv then reboot. I'm sure this isn't ure problem but I figured I would through it out there anywAys.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
Dylanstark

thanks everyone. no apple care and but I'll try taking out hard drive and booting from disk, I took out the hard drive to use in an external enclosure but it is partitioned and the enclosure keeps booting up to the windows partition not to the mac partition, which I can't figure out either... woo! thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
slakr7555

slakr7555 is on a distinguished road

can you boot into open firmware? i only ask because you can avoid taking out the hdd if you can. the fewer times a mbp is apart the better ya know.
QUOTE Thanks
The Pollywog

The Pollywog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Mine has done this before. I learned after it was because I had it connected to my tv and before I could open my MacBook to see the screen I had to shut it down disconnect it from my tv then reboot. I'm sure this isn't ure problem but I figured I would through it out there anywAys.
Do you remember how you solved this issue. I'm fighting this one right now, and its due to being connected to the TV
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A1181 Backlight question, have searched | 2 macbooks, 2 problems »