New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

replacing a superdrive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hillockprod

Hillockprod is on a distinguished road

Good morning,

I have a 15" Macbookpro and the front entry superdrive has given up the ghost so my only way of reading DVD/CDs is through an external drive - slow and a cow to connect. So I'd like to replace the drive. The MBP is probably pre 2008 (I cannot remember the exact date) but, unlike a PC of a similar vintage, works very well. Can anyone point me in the direction of an idiot's guide to replacing the drive - I am competent but not expert.

I'd also like some pointers as to where to buy one.

Thanks
HP
QUOTE Thanks
Kax

Kax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD

Hi,
see these 2 links hope it helps

Installing MacBook Core Duo Optical Drive Replacement - iFixit

or

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo Model A1211 Optical Drive Replacement - iFixit

If it was not your model try searching in the web site ( iFixit: The free repair manual )

I would take a bomb, but I can’t stand the noise.

Macbook7,1 13" 2.4GHz Core2Duo 10.7.2 2GB DDR3 RAM 250GB HD. iPhone 3GS 32GB iOS5. iPod 3G 32GB iOS5
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I followed the iFixit directions to replace my super drive and now I can basically do it from memory.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook RSS has began | Trackpad click won't work properly »