New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

software to remember installed apps on Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hann

Hann is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Core Duo 2GHz Black Macbook

So I'm contemplating a clean install again on my recent refurb mac.

What I foresee is a hard time compiling and remembering which softwares I had installed on my mac, besides just writing everything down.

My friend mentioned there was a software that could record the list of apps that I had installed on my mac so that when I reformat I knew what software to hunt for again.

Anyone know anything about it? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You could just take screenshots of your Apps folder.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

There is hardware and its called a Ext HDD. Do a backup and then you will have them forever and no need to re download
Or you could look at something like AppFresh that will update all your Apps when set properly in Preferences. . . . . . But backup would be best option i see.

I am also wondering to as to how if you find this App that your friend suggested and you use it, how will it work on the Mac if you are doing a clean install. Once you wipe the HD there will be no App telling you what Apps you had on your Mac, unless you do a backup then you have no need for this App

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Pen and piece of paper?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Bah, no need to get additional software.
Open Terminal from your utilities folder and paste in this, One line at a time.
Then look on your Desktop, and print the text files.

ls /Applications >> ~/Desktop/Applications.txt
ls /Applications/Utilities >> ~/Desktop/Utilities.txt

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Hann

Hann is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Core Duo 2GHz Black Macbook

wow interesting ideas...

well i'm not sure how that software wud've worked but perhaps maybe a list or stg i could print out or save in dropbox heh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need a quiet hard drive for MBP! | iBook 3g harddrive visible, but not mounting? »