New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

G4 MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kribensis12

kribensis12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 Ghz Duo Core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive

So, a friend's G4 MacBook pro (circa 2001) had the logic board fail. She want's to sell it to me for 20 bucks. It has a brand new battery, but other than that, it's all original parts. Is it worth it? I would end up selling the parts, but do you think I will make anything off it?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kribensis12 View Post
So, a friend's G4 MacBook pro (circa 2001) had the logic board fail. She want's to sell it to me for 20 bucks. It has a brand new battery, but other than that, it's all original parts. Is it worth it? I would end up selling the parts, but do you think I will make anything off it?
First...it's NOT a G4 MacBook Pro. Macbook Pro's didn't appear until 2006. You either have a Powerbook G4 or an iBook G4.

As far as is $20 bucks worth it. Darn right it is. The brand new battery is worth much more than $20 bucks. And of course the other parts are worth more than $20 bucks as well.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 Ghz Duo Core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive

Well, she said that it was a pro, and i've seen it. It does say apple computer in 2001 trademark ect. on it. It must be the PowerBook G4. Its body is in horrible shape, but everything works. So, I think I might buy it, play doctor and sell the parts. I could use the extra cash. To think that it lasted 10 years. Wow. That is a long time.
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

Is it possible to take the cd drive out of it and put it into a newer pc? Or will the size difference be too much?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is it possible to take the cd drive out of it and put it into a newer pc? Or will the size difference be too much?
Hard to say without knowing the exact model computer we are talking about. There are easily 30-40 different iBook & Powerbook models. Many of these models have hardware commonalities...but without the exact model, it would just be a guess.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

It'd be a dell laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
It'd be a dell laptop.
Need to know the exact model Apple laptop you have.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

It's a G4 PowerBook, I believe.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
It's a G4 PowerBook, I believe.
Did you even read my earlier post?

I said that there are over 30-40 iBook & Powerbook G4 models & and I needed to know the EXACT model. If you do have a Powerbook G4...there are over 20+ models...and they are NOT all the same!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

I did in fact read your post. I do not know the EXACT model. Not yet anyways. I thought you were asking me what model was the mac that I planned on putting it in. That is where I became confused.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I did in fact read your post. I do not know the EXACT model. Not yet anyways. I thought you were asking me what model was the mac that I planned on putting it in. That is where I became confused.
In post #4 above...your question was:

"Is it possible to take the cd drive out of it and put it into a newer pc? Or will the size difference be too much?"

In post #6 above you said"

It'd be a dell laptop."

So there never really was any confusion on what computers we were talking about. You said you have this $20 non-functioning Macintosh laptop...and you mentioned that you wanted to know if the CD drive from the Mac laptop would fit into a Dell computer...(NOT another Mac laptop)!

And I asked twice...what was the exact Mac laptop model you have???

Good luck with the project,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

Quote:
There are easily 30-40 different iBook & Powerbook models. Many of these models have hardware commonalities...
When you said this, I thought you were talking about exchanging it with another macs cd drive, because they have a hardware commonality. I will let you know the exact model as soon as I know it.
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

Well, I picked it up today. It turns out that it is newer than previously thought. It is a A1095 PowerBook. I have no idea what the specs are, but online it says that there is a 1.33 and a 1.5 Ghz version. So, I will have to open it up to find out. It' has a combo drive. Not really sure what that is, I'm assuming that it burns dvds and cd's?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

A combo drive will read DVD's but not burn them, but will burn and read CD's and is a cheaper version than the DVD burning Superdrive. Combo drives that old would bring about $5 if it sells at all.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

Thanks. It is the 1.3 Ghz model. So, I can't seem to get all the screws out. Is there a trick to it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help choosing my Macbook Pro? | Had MBP Over A Year - What Maintenance Would Keep It Running on Top Form?? »