New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Need a quiet hard drive for MBP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Iconic

Iconic is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a quiet hard drive that runs cool and has decent performance. I currently own a mid 2010 MBP 13" with only a stock 160gb hard drive.

I'm thinking that since noise is an issue for me, I'll have to stick with a 5,400rpm drive but I'd like the highest capacity drive I can get. Please recommend a few models to consider for those that have upgraded their drive.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

See the following LINK.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Mid 2010 13" MBPs came with 250, 320 or 500GB HDs, so I'm assuming that what you actually have is a mid 2009 MBP, but regardless of which Macbook Pro you have, that doesn't effect the HD that you can install.

Anyway, I've put a 500GB 7200RPM in my MBP and have not experienced any noise or heat increase, as well as no ill effect on power consumption.

There are many options out there, and any known brand will be fine.
The largest you can have is 750GB, in a 2.5" by 9.5mm form factor.

Here is a link to a great site with many of your available options for your Mac.
Data Storage Upgrades for your Apple MacBook Pro 2.26GHz (13-inch Unibody w/SD card slot) - June 2009 at OtherWorldComputing.com

Ignore the 1TB HDs that are listed there, as they really shouldn't be in that list!
QUOTE Thanks
Iconic

Iconic is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the links.

I'm also considering one of these, any opinions on either of them? :

- Hitachi Travelstar 5K750 750GB
- Seagate Momentus 5400.6 500GB
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Both are good, but if you are going to go to the trouble of any HD upgrades, you may as well get one of the 7200RPM HDs, as the price difference is so minimal.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I have a Hitachi 7K500 and it's phenomenal. This was after experimenting with a WD (noisy and very evident vibration) and a Seagate (quiet, but very slow). IMO you can't go wrong with the newer Hitachis. Hopefully that holds true for the long run.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I've been leery of Hitachi drives ever since their infamous run of "DeathStar" drives they provided IBM with back around 7 or 8 years ago. But it's good to hear that their new drives are top notch.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I've been leery of Hitachi drives ever since their infamous run of "DeathStar" drives they provided IBM with back around 7 or 8 years ago. But it's good to hear that their new drives are top notch.
I was too. But so far, so good with this one. And they seem to be rated pretty well in more recent incarnations. They certainly haven't had the kind of firmware issues Seagate and WD have been running into lately.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I'm also using the 7K500, and would recommend it to anyone (which I usually do).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Superdrive Not Correctly Recognized | software to remember installed apps on Mac? »