New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook won't run of AC power (batt only)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robbob84

robbob84 is on a distinguished road

My macbook is only running off of a very week old battery and here's the strange part, I get no power from the AC. The battery is SLOWLY taking a charge from the AC when the computer is off. But the AC LED is Green. In about 24 hours it'll charge for about 15 min. of life..... Sadly, I'm a bit more dependent then that.

So just take the batt. out and replace it. I WISH it was a battery problem. When I take the batt. out I get nothing when I try and turn it on. BUT, the LED light is green and on. But nothing, no startup. just... cold... death...

When my battery dies the AC turns orange for about a min. then back to green. When i try and turn on my comp. It makes the startup sound and the macbook gives out within a few sec. SO.... I let it sit for a day and it'll take enough charge for basic "cry for mac-forum" help.

I've reset the PRAM a few times, which has changed nothing....

The problem started when I noticed it said battery "not charging" then when my batt. died I realized It wouldn't power up.

My battery health diagnostic is fair, about 600+ cycles, but it notes there that it's not taking a charge... but is it... kind of... slowly.

It's a 2008 macbook.

Thanks for any help will be given!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Sounds like your battery. Your MB is 2-3 yrs old, and it is an eventuality.

If you can take it to the Apple Store, they'll tell you if it's your battery or your MagSafe charger or something internal more serious.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Agree with MYmacROX take it into a reseller or Genius Bar. Either the battery or the mains cable.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro trackpad issue... Is there a resolution yet? | Mail counter missing »