New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help with opening pdf file?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kmstevenson

kmstevenson is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping someone can help save me a trip to get my MacBook Pro fixed. I couple of days ago, I was able to open a couple pdf files, but when I try opening them now, all I get is what looks like coding... (see copy and paste below). I tried restarting, as well as installing new updates, but it didn't fix it. Any advice? Since I'm relatively new to Mac, I wasn't sure if it uses Adobe to open pdf's if I should reinstall that? This happen to anyone? Help, please?

Thanks!

Kristen

Here's what I get when I try to open the file now...

%PDF-1.5 % 74 0 obj <> endobj 84 0 obj <<>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<2A284064DD6A50F46FDBC91CE708071C>]/Index[74 25]/Info 73 0 R/Length 65/Prev 77930/Root 75 0 R/Size 99/Type/XRef/W[1 2 1]>>stream hbbd ``b` $ C ` e 7 H0 V q1 &H1 # / H8 endstream endobj startxref 0 %%EOF 98 0 obj <>stream hb```f``R c B s =X} {j 7X) ,L X4 Ua`L @ ) aᄖ.= O_-`6xj ``X ; |F % endstream endobj 75 0 obj <> endobj 76 0 obj <> endobj 77 0 obj <>stream hUmo0 +q8/R tHkh W~>;aSi ~绳 x 8! @Hq@ B z! 0 z |@8w] Q YYEd!qQ3y(ܡ0=D~\mu #Hc\ J# .b0 iZH ^
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Do you get the same thing when opening it in Adobe Reader and Preview? Is it only a particular set of PDFs that open this way (they may be corrupt)? What version of OS X and Adobe Reader are you using?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
kmstevenson

kmstevenson is on a distinguished road

It looks like I have Version 10.6.6 (OS) and I'm not sure about Adobe.. I just got the laptop in October, so I know it can't be too old? Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As I noted, it could very well be an issue with the PDFs themselves or with Adobe Reader. Try opening them on another machine and/or updating Reader if that is what you're using.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Try "right clicking" the file and then choose "open with" and then choose Preview".
This forces the file to be opened with Preview instead of Adobe.
This will help tell us if Adobe is the problem or the .pdf file is the problem.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook won't start up | External hdd for mbp. »