New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

hardware and os upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ann475

ann475 is on a distinguished road

Have macbook 1.1 with 1gb memory and 80gb hd and running Tiger. Want to upgrade to 2gb memory, larger hd (500gb) and snow leopard. Was going to get the new hd in a "upgrade kit" that includes an "enclosure" as that seems to make transfer of data from old hd easier.

Am getting a bit lost reading articles and posts scattered on the internet that each involve different parts of the above desribed overall upgrade.

Would very much appreciate help with process or links to most useful instructions.

What would be the best order of doing the upgrade (ie. hardware and software) and how do I migrate everything from my old hd to new hd?
It looks like the memory upgrade is fairly easy. Probably do that first. After that it seems complicated on how best and in what order to install snow leopard (apparently a "clean" install is best) and finally end up with snow leopard and all my old data and programs from my old hd onto my new hd.

Any help would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I would upgrade the RAM, (try Crucial,) then the HDD, then get the Retail version of Snow Leopard to get to SL, best to upgrade Hardware before software.
You will want to backup everything you need to an external HDD before hand if you want to keep your important files/ document/ music etc.

Hope this helps.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
ann475

ann475 is on a distinguished road

Have been reading more. Is the following possible/advised.

I have new hd, new memory, and copy of snow leopard.

Can I in this order:
1.Change 512 memory modules for new 1024 modules. (online videos; looks fairly simple)
2. Remove the old hard drive. (online videos; looks fairly simple)
3. Install the new hard drive that is totally clean/blank. (online videos; looks fairly simple)
4. Install the snow leopard directly to the new hd. Apparently after I format and partition new hd. (online videos and instructions; just follow the prompts?)
5. Plug the old hard drive into the usb enclosure that comes with the hd upgrade kit and then migrate any desired data, applications, etc. directly from old hd to new hard drive. If this is possible should I use the "migration assistant" some posts talk about to do this or is there a recommended program for doing a migration. Not sure from some posts whether I can or even should migrate applications. Don't have that many but still looking for original install disks.

Thanks again for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes, Migration assistant is probably the best to use as it is built for exactly what you are doing.

Your list is in exactly the right order aswell

Post back if you need any more advice though

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Running Extremely Hot | Will this drive fit in a 2010 15" mb pro? »